Living Donation Discussion and News > Living Donation Forum

3 weeks after donation

<< < (3/3)

Fr Pat:
Dear Sarah,
     Two more litle recovery tips:
--- I found that a very helpful exercise was simply to lie on the floor flat on my back and stretch out the arms and legs and breathe deeply. Might just be in my mind, but I sort of "felt" the innards shifting around. Then try lieing on one side and lifting the opposite legs, then reverse. If you are like me and some other donors who have tried it, you may hear some rumbling and gurgling inside.
--- Watch your posture. After surgery we may unconsciously sift the way we stand, sit and walk so as to try to avoid pains. The diffferent posture puts different strains on the muscles and back. Make an effort to resume normal posture to help healing.
           best wishes,
               Fr. Pat

Orchidlady:
Oh my gosh, Sara! Do I remember the "pulling"! And it felt like a deep pulling - like it was waaay down inside. Don't worry about timing on your recovery - I remember the surgeon telling me that they tell people six weeks recovery because that is literally how long it takes your body to heal from major surgery, whether you cooperate or not.  As others have said, a lot of stuff has been jostled around to get to that kidney - the surgeon told me they had to roll various other organs out of the way to get to the kidney in back. And all of that jostling results in bruising and inflammation. I used to laugh and tell people it felt for that first six weeks like I was carrying a football in front of me! Then that football gradually diminished to softball size and then went away. Walking is definitely good because it helps with the inflammation and keeps your muscles moving.
Glad you are doing well. You will be turning the corner and back to normal in no time! 

littleone60540:
Thanks guys!! The shifting of posture i have for sure done. I have strained muscles in my back and abdomen from the change in the way i am sitting and standing to avoid the pulling sensation. I will try the stretching exercise it sounds like it could help a lot. When i try to lay on my left side i can only do it for a few minutes and then it feels like my other organs are pushing on the site where my kidney used to be!

I am so glad that i found this forum, i swear i felt like i was not healing fast enough and i feel so much better knowing that you guys are all here to help share your experience and help me understand what is to come.

Thanks again you guys!!!

Sara

PhilHoover:
Remember that:

1) No lifting anything over 5 lbs for at least 8 weeks after the surgery;

2) Drink lots of water;

3) Take as many naps as you may feel you need...

4)  Follow all the surgeon's instructions...to the letter...

5) Use those stool softeners as often as you need them  (no, they are not addictive)...

Phil Hoover
Chicago

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version