Living Donation Discussion and News > Living Donation Forum

Random thoughts...pre-surgery.

<< < (2/3) > >>

PhilHoover:
is with you...God bless you for your marvelous act of generosity.

fredpeh:
Sarah,
I read your post and feel exactly the same way.  I am an Eastern Orthodox priest who will be donating a kidney to a church member probably in June and it's mostly on my mind all the time.  It's kind of like background music in an office:  it's always on,  at times I'm distracted with other things and I don't pay attention to the music but it's always playing softly in the background! 

I have been in this process since last Fall and just completed my testing last week.  I find it incredibly difficult when I meet people and we exchange small talk like "Hi, how are you...so, what's new with you".  I am reluctant to tell everyone I meet what's really new with me but they have no idea what I'm going through.  While I am absolutely sure this is what I need to do and what I want to do this is easily the most major thing I've ever done in my life.  My guess is that some people will assume that since I'm a priest I have no anxiety or fear but I'll be honest:  I do!   However educating myself by spending hours on-line and interacting with people I've met through the internet and reading everything I can get my hands on has helped tremendously to ease my anxiety. 

My prayers and thoughts will be with you  on May 4th.

Father Ed

kali:
Sarah, I think we can all relate to your post.  I donated almost a year ago and still wonder what part the donation should play in my life.  Sometimes it is just part of my background, like where I graduated from college, other times it is a cause. Also, when questions about your own health arise, it is a worry stone.  Since my recipient is my husband, I have the joy and/or the worry of seeing the results daily.  The day of the surgery was full of highs and lows almost simultaneously.  Even with a year of preparation, my body acted on its own at times.  I just kept saying I'm doing the best I can with the situation we have and what happens, happens. There are many supportive and much more eloquent people on this site who are behind you all the way.  Good luck!
Kali

PhilHoover:
Sarah, you are doing NO SMALL THING....Being a living organ donor is a very HUGE thing...

And it should be in the forefront of your thinking....you are preparing to save someone's life.

Praying for you even now...

Phil Hoover
Chicago

Prelude_Sarah:
I have so much love for all of you.  Thank you, from the bottom of my heart for being here.  I don't think I could do this without you guys. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version