Living Donation Discussion and News > Living Donation Forum

Second thoughts on my transplant coodinator

<< < (3/3)

Fr Pat:
Dear Snoopy,
       I don't mean to upset you unnecessarily, but keep in mind that there are still many transplant hospitals that do NOT accept transplants from strangers, but only from relatives or close friends of the recipient. It might be wise to make sure that your intended recipient's hospital knows that you are a "stranger"  and is open to accepting you. There have been cases where a transplant from a "stranger" has been called off even after the surgery was scheduled because the hospital or surgeon had second thoughts about accepting a stranger, or had suspicions that payment had been promised. Best to double-check.
   Fr. Pat

Snoopy:
Dear Fr. Pat,
  No worries about being upset!  Actually, in my case, I originally presented myself as a "stranger". (Personally, I consider myself a "walk-on"--somebody who wanders in to try out for the football team without having been recruited).  I contacted them, explaining that I wanted to donate, but had no special candidate in mind.  The surgeon and the transplant coordinator explained possible ways of finding a recipient, and the coordinator referred me to the organization that ended up making the match.  So, they were aware of my status.  And I don't take any of this personally.  Let's say that my mild exasperation is causing me to work on my ability to place things in perspective.  In fact, my intended recipient is much calmer than I am about all the delays.  If he can stay cool, I should be able to as well!
  Be well, Snoopy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version