Living Donation Discussion and News > Living Donation Forum

Second thoughts on my transplant coodinator

<< < (2/3) > >>

rdr321:
Thank you guys for your input.. Phil Said "cool your jets" . After 43 years on the planet I have to admit my engines run a little warm. 
But i also am going to have a organ removed from my body where there could be complications. I need to feel like they will take care of me and not have doubt in me that they will return calls if I am having problems after surgery. If the coordinator is not returning calls now, what about after? I will very gently try to explain her my concern. That is not very easy. They don't make it easy for us donors do they? It is almost funny.And monday I will call the other transplant center near my home. It is Loma Linda in Redlands Ca and I think it has a good name. I will see what they say.  Thanks Rick

sherri:
Rick,

As a non directed donor you have flexibility that directed or family donors don't always have. Part of the process of being interviewed by the doctors, nurses, social workers etc. is to examine your medical suitability and emotional state. It is also a great opportunity for you to see what the professionals are like. Are they attentive to your needs, do they return phone calls, how have others done at this hospital. Do your research as you would if you were having a medically needed surgery and not an elective procedure. Look how much time and money is spent into attracting mothers ready to give birth.  Fancy birthing suites, tour of the hospital, classes on what to expect, special waiting room, rooming in with baby. Donors don't demand as much as most of them just want to see their recipient get better but it would be a different market if we started to expect top excellent care instead of settling because professionals are busy.

I believe people do act within character so if there is a complication or an emergency will these people be able to help you. Could you depend on these doctors and nurses to help get you through the surgery both physically and emotionally. Are there services available to you that they can recommend. Speak to other donors at the hospital, especially ones who did have trouble and see how their experience turned out.

Best of luck,

Sherri

ohtobeahayes:
PS-  I of course only donated at one hospital and therefore have only had experience at one hospital but I wasn't ignored even once.  There are transplant clinis that do better, and ones that desperately need to up the ante on their donor care. Just sayin', because it's possible that the other clinic might do way better by you.

And you are right- if you're going unanswered now, what about after?  If a conversation with your current clinic doesn't make you feel better in your gut, checking the other out might be the best thing to do?

We're with ya!

Looking out for you is the most important thing you can do!

Nicki

PhilHoover:
Really, and seriously, I do understand them.   But remember, these people/professionals have LOTS on their plates....If you are completely unhappy with your living donor coordinator, try to find another medical center that will be more to your liking.   I would highly recommend the University of Alabama-Birmingham Hospital...it was MARVELOUS beyond words.

They serve people from all over the world....not just folks in the South.

Snoopy:
     This thread definitely hit a chord with me.  I've been in the process for about ten months.  Individually, the transplant coordinator and secretary are very nice and friendly.  However, I'm having some trouble with communications.  I presented to the transplant center as a non-directed donor candidate and, after an initial battery of medical testing, the center referred me to an NGO (non-governmental organization) in my area that helps match up donor candidates with recipient candidates.  Eventually, the NGO matched me up with a very nice, medically-suitable recipient.
     The problem is, I never know whom to contact.  My calls and e-mails to personnel at the transplant center are usually ignored (or, at least, I rarely get any response to them; it may well be that the staff do act upon what I send them).  Sometimes, I get answers to my questions about scheduling appointments, etc., not from the transplant center personnel to whom I initially directed them, but from my intended recipient, or from the director of the NGO.  Even that doesn't necessarily upset me, but I'm never sure to whom to address my questions.  I am inclined to believe that a lot of the problem is overworked staff, and can forgive a lot--as Phil pointed out, they've got lots on their plates.  Still, after reading this thread, I think I'll try to establish some standard operating procedures to replace the seemingly haphazard manner in which things are moving.  So, Rick (and the others), I hope this at least helps place things in perspective.  You all are clearly not alone. 
    It may be just part of this high-pressure, high-workload organizational beast, but it's definitely worth following the suggestions offered earlier in this thread to politely, patiently, request some help in working through the system.  Hang in there! Snoopy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version