Living Donation Discussion and News > Living Donation Forum

2007 Altruistic Kidney Donor & Possible 2018 Liver Donor

(1/3) > >>

himer24:
Hello All, its been a very long time since i posted on here but i want to share great news that i am going thru donating a piece of my liver to my best friends daughter. I donated my kidney 11 years ago and what a great experience that was too a stranger then and a great friend now. I was wondering if anyone else experienced both donations and if there is a big difference from donating a kidney? Hope all is well with all of you and thanks for reading. God Bless!

elephant:
Dear himer,

Since I wound up with an autoimmune disorder shortly after my kidney donation,  I can't even donate blood.  But I am amazed that you are in the approval process for a liver donation.  From what I have learned from other donors, liver donation is a bit rougher than kidney donation.  Hope you will keep us updated on your progress - have you been approved and scheduled or are you in testing? 

love, elephant

himer24:
Hi Elephant, I got all my testing done except one and that is a colonoscopy they want done because i am 48 years old. I will have everything done by next friday the 10th. I will know on the following tuesday if its a go or not.. I am sorry you about the autoimmune disorder. You did a great thing! Always remember that! I will keep you updated on my progress.. Thanks!

Robert

elephant:
Wow himer24, you are awesome.  Because of my illness I have done *many* colonoscopy preps...my best advice is to get some wet wipes before you start.  And some bottles of lemon lime Gatorade.  Let us know when you are approved so we can cheer you on! 

Fr Pat:
Congratulations! I have met or read the stories of a few others who have donated a liver lobe after having donated a kidney, and it is still rare (and some hospitals will not even THINK about it.) It is a much more invasive surgery than kidney donation, with a longer recovery and a much higher risk of complications and re-admissions to the hospital. So be preparred for a more difficult time as compared with your kidney donation. Please keep us informed about how it goes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version