Living Donation Discussion and News > Living Donation Forum

Living kidney donor recovery - Extreme lack of energy

<< < (2/2)

lostcosmonauts:
Hi there,

My experience has been very similar. I donated (left side) at the end of July and took 6 weeks off work.

After 3 months I sought help from GP and transplant coordinator as I was just not able to keep up a normal schedule. I has exhausted at work and free time was just knackered.

Still to get to the bottom of things - not anaemic, eGFR is 59, blood glucose is normal. Recommended couselling for fatigue and anxiety but I'm not yet convinced that low cortisol isn't a better explanation.

Hospital suggested that my idea of normal activity was maybe at the root of this - I am in a senior scientific management position and used to working intensive/long days and competed in triathlons/ultramarathons before donation. They suggested that what I consider chronically fatigued is probably ok and that it will just take longer to get back to my previous level.

I did take a lot of time prior to donation asking about impact on hormone levels especially EPO and the impact of protein breakdown during endurance events potentially damaging the remaining kidney. Hormone levels they said would be unaffected. Endurance events they said were probably ok but no-one was quite sure - recommended to leave off for 9 or so months and be careful about dehydration levels when I start back. Also recommended avoiding protein supplements.

pvanhoudt:
Nancy,
I donated 5 years ago and am still feeling the effects.  I would estimate that between 20-30% of my stamina never returned.  I had a very regular exercise regiment for years prior to my donation and I've not been able to return to it since.  I struggled for years trying to figure it out.  The transplant doctors said I should be back to normal but I never got there.  Don't get me wrong, I don't regret my decision, I just wish I knew what to expect afterward.  My donation was anonymous, I don't know the recipient.  I now have prostate cancer and am REALLY struggling with fatigue.  I attribute my situation to the combination of both.  I'm not bitter.  The cancer is under control.  My "additional" fatigue is caused by the treatments.  I have a good job so no real disaster here.
Good luck,
Paul

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version