Living Donation Discussion and News > Living Donation Forum

Top 5 must bring

<< < (3/3)

treehugger:
Lots of good ideas here.

Definitely agree with the earplugs (hospitals are never completely quiet) and a robe and slippers. Although, before your IV is out, a robe can be problematic, but that is easily solved by asking for a second hospital gown and wearing it backwards over your other one (full butt coverage :)).

If you are bringing an MP3 player (recommended), look into putting an audio book or two on it. I am a devoted reader, but just didn't feel up to actually reading much. But I did enjoy listening to (and falling asleep to) Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol (it was December) through my headphones. That was especially nice when I was in a double room with a really loud and obnoxious roommate.

Your own toiletries. Hospital air was really drying for me, plus I was washing my hands frequently with their harsh soap. I had lip balm, but forgot to bring lotion. My mom's lotion was scented, the hospital-provided lotion was scented (and I was slightly nauseous for the first 2 days), and my hands were so dry and uncomfortable. Finally my mother-in-law went out to buy me some unscented lotion. I will never forget how comforting that was!

Kara

Jewels:
Wow - these are great suggestions...from earplugs and a robe to my loved ones!  I am still in a state of shear excitement and tremendous nervousness...it is such a strange feeling/emotion to be in - not bad at all, just different than anything I have ever experienced!

Thank you - this forum continues to bring so much comfort.
-j

audrey12:
I agree with everything on here, especially my own pillow.  I brought mine to Chicago from California!

One thing my family always has in the hospital is a box of See's Candies.  It's for the nursing/hospital staff.  We leave it open on a nearby shelf in the patient's room, not so close that the smell of chocolate bothers the patient when he/she isn't feeling well.  Whenever someone comes in, we encourage them to have a piece.  We find the staff is much quicker about taking care of the patient if they know there's chocolate available.

We've been doing it for 30+ years and it never fails.

When my daughter had back surgery at age 19, we brought boxes of candy to the pre-op ward, the post-op ward and the floor staff after she was discharged.  They took such good care of her, we wanted to thank them.  She ended up going back two years later for another back surgery and they remembered us.   :)  Now we try to have a little something for the nursing staff at discharge, to say thanks.

lawphi:
Dove Pink Bar Soap. 
A really good rich lotion
Heating pad
iPad with netflix
quarters for the machines

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version