Living Donation Discussion and News > Living Donation Forum

Top 5 must bring

<< < (2/3) > >>

sherri:
The top thing I brought was my husband. I can't imagine being in a hospital for any surgery without a friend or family member to advocate for me.

A small soft pillow to hold against my belly where the incision was also helped.

Good luck,

Sherri

Prelude_Sarah:
Good point Sherri!  Having my boyfriend there with me through the first night, and all the time he spent there, was an amazingly important aspect of doing well in the hospital for me too.  Also, my dad, mom, brother, step-dad and other family and friends were there every day too.  That was the most helpful thing, without a doubt.

Scott337:
Here's my list;

I brought and found useful;

1.  Sweatpants (no zippers, lightweight and comfy) and food falls right off of them for the most part
2.  My ipod - forgot the ear buds though - ho hum.
3.  Sneakers - my wife tied them and I liked having non-skid souls as they were constantly polishing hallway floors
4.  My wife - she helped immeasurably as support, tying my shoes (above), reaching things and someone to talk to
5.  My dignity - that was missing in action somewhere between the morning of surgery and the time I had my catheter out  :o

Things I wish I would have brought

1.  A more sensitive person to pull my catheter out
2.  Earbuds for my ipod (water under the bridge though now)
3.  Sweatpants that actually fit me (spent my walking time with one hand on my I.V. tree and the other holding my pants up)
4.  Extra DIGNITY - nothing more humbling than waking up naked and having marker drawings all over your body and tubes coming from your privates  :-\
5.  My own pillow

Scott 8)

PhilHoover:
What I am glad I brought:

My Bible
My good walking shoes
My bathrobe
My sense of humor...
My cell phone

What I wish I had ALSO brought:

a couple of good books
A small transistor radio
A camera (would love to have some pictures NOW, even though I was loathed to the idea THEN).

Fr Pat:
     Larger-than-usual shoes, pants & underwear for the trip home. Many donors experience bloating, and your regular-size shoes and clothes may be uncomfortable (or unusable!).
   Fr. Pat

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version