Living Donation Discussion and News > Living Donation Forum

Just confirmed surgery on June 9th at Piedmont Hospital...

<< < (2/5) > >>

APV:
Welcome and congratulations on your Surgery date!  I will be donating a kidney to my husband on June 10th.  I hope we can share stories/thoughts as we go through this experience at the same time.  Read as much as you can on this Forum.  People here are very helpful and have lots of practical information which you don't get from the doctors.   Best Wishes

Angelica

Aries7:
Hi Lisa and Welcome!

It sounds like you are well prepared for your upcoming surgery. The fact that you are a runner and you eat well will be very helpful with your surgery and recovery. I know exactly what you mean when you say you knew you wanted to donate to your friends Father. I also "knew" I was meant to donate to my husband. I was and still an very at peace with this. If given the choice, I would absolutely, without question do it all again.

I wish you and your recipient well. God Bless you both!

Linda

twinkie:
Thank you Angelica and Linda for your response.  Congratulation to you too, Angelica.  I will be praying for you and your husband.  This website has really answered alot of my questions, plus it helps me to know that I am not the only one who thinks of donation 24/7....   I pray that more people would become aware of the live donor process.  I for one, had no idea until recently that this was even possible.  Yes, I was so naive but now I am on a mission to help make people aware of becoming a live donor.  I know that I haven't had the operation yet but I can honestly tell you that I wish that it was yesterday.  To know that Daddy Chuck would be able his quality of life back and know that I can be apart of this journey just makes me beam inside and out!  Thank you again for all your responses and I will keep you updated on the journey.  I am so excited that you are on this journey with me too Angelica... only a couple days apart :-)  God Bless you ALL!

PhilHoover:
First of all, you are doing a WONDERFUL THING...and yes, the LORD will help you through it.  I am a living testimony to that!  HE spoke so very clearly to me more than 2 years ago about being a kidney donor to one of my college professors (from more than 20 years ago).

A couple of things I'd like to suggest:

First, make sure you have talked with your own primary care physician, and let them know what you will be doing.  Have the transplant center FAX all of the medical records from your surgery/preoperative and postoperative care to your doctor's office.  Your primary care physician needs as complete a picture of the "details" as possible.

Second, get the support system in place ASAP.  You will have a lifting restriction for about two months...usually nothing heavier than a gallon of milk---if that heavy....your wonderful husband, and your church family will step up to the plate...but make sure they know you will need some "additional" help...

Finally, RELAX--this is the hard part---God will bring you through this glorious event.   Read your Bible the night before the surgery, and let the Holy Spirit speak to you, giving you His promise....He will do it.

God bless you for your unselfish and generous heart.

Scott337:
Lisa,

Often times I think living donors are the type of people who are always thinking/worrying about others and how they can make life easier for someone else, and they forget or look past what they want or more importantly NEED.  This is a time for others to come to your aide, care & comfort.  Be open to accepting that you've done something really important and you will need some assistance, care and support.  That's why your support system is so vitally important to your recovery process and emotional well-being.  

Be certain to communicate to those around you, exactly what you require to be comfortable and to heal.  Don't be afraid to recognize that you'll never be the same person going in that you are coming out the other side of this life-changing event.  Be open to sharing your emotions and feelings with those you're close to.  Help them understand what you've just been through.  

I look forward to hearing from you soon - take care and we're praying for you.

Scott 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version