Living Donation Discussion and News > Living Donation in the News

Hip-hop artist coming to town with music, message

(1/1)

Clark:
http://www.myjournalcourier.com/news/hip-33751-coming-richelle.html

Hip-hop artist coming to town with music, message
JAKE RUSSELL

Having donated a kidney, Richelle Handling wanted to share her experience with others.

That’s why when Marc Anthony Porch, director of the Central Illinois chapter of Gift of Hope Organ and Tissue Donor Network, asked her if Jacksonville could be a stop during hip-hop artist Bone Crusher’s Campaign for Hope tour, she took the opportunity with only 14 days to plan.

Bone Crusher is a nationally known artist who gained attention in 2003 with his first solo album “AttenCHUN,” which featured the single “Never Scared.” He has appeared on Celebrity Fit Club and set a record for weight loss.

He will debut his new single “Unstoppable” at 7 tonight at Paradiso Sports Bar at 39 S. Central Park Plaza in Jacksonville.

Handling, a 20-year Jacksonville resident, said she wants to bring new things to Jacksonville.

“That’s people spending money here,” she said. “We have drive to Pop’s [Nightclub and Concert Venue in Sauget] to see bands.”

The fact that the campaign combined with Gift of Hope made it a perfect match. She hadn’t thought too much of organ donation until she volunteered to donate a kidney to a man who had had little success finding someone who was a good match.

“I think God maybe told me to,” Handling said. “I said, ‘I’ll do it.’”

Handling hadn’t even met the man in person, but went through the testing, which was difficult at first, as Handling had experienced some health issues. Finally, through Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago, Handling was able to donate a kidney. The hospital helped with the expenses for her to get to Chicago.

“Being a living donor is really special, because you can see the change you’ve made,” Handling said. “Even registering your name for being a donor, you make a change in several people’s lives.”

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version