Living Donation Discussion and News > Living Donation Forum

Can I switch hospitals for the transplant?

(1/2) > >>

bkladane:
Hi everyone~

I need advice. The backstory: My doctor at SUNY Downstate told me the results of my CT Angiogram today. He says that I am very rare (I took that to mean that I am a mutant), but instead of one renal vein/one renal artery per kidney, I have two of each (so four veins/arteries, two to the vena cava and two to the aorta). He says this happens in about 20-25% of people and he has seen and done successful transplants with this condition. Since my right kidney is the bigger one and has shorter veins they would leave me with this one and take the left. Another thing that makes my case more complex is that one of the renal veins on the left side travels behind the aorta to the vena cava--he said this is extremely rare (1%). He said surgery is not impossible but is more complex.

This scares me because it is riskier now. Downstate didn't do transplants for 2 years and while I trust this particular doctor because he has extensive experience, he said he was uncomfortable doing the surgery without a few simple transplants conducted by the team. The team is new here and he doesn't want to start them off with a complex case. There are three transplants going to be done soon at the hospital, but I don't want to be the first complex case done by this team, I want to have people (besides the doctor) who have done countless transplants under the belt.

Has anyone ever switched hospitals? Is that even possible? I'm wondering if my family should check out New York Presbyterian. I don't really know what to do here.

llinton98:
Hi,

Remember, it's your body, you are the consumer. My sister and I had surgery at Columbia Presbyterian on January 15, 2010 and we are doing very well. I highly recommend this hospital.  Columbia Presbyterian performs roughly 2 renal transplants per week.

Dr. Lloyd Ratner, who was my sister's surgeon, is one of the pioneers of the laproscopic kidney transplant. Dr. Ratner is very well respected and every year trains physicians from other countries. If you are thinking about switching I would say to make an appointment with the transplant team and hear what they have to say. They will assist you with the switch if you decide to go forward with them. As you go through the process get copies of your records, bloodwork, etc. BTW, I had an extra renal artery too.

Just curious, do you know your donor or is this an altruistic donation?

Best of luck to you going forward.

Laura

http://www.columbiakidneytransplant.org/     

lawphi:
My husband's first cadaver transplant was just like yours.  It clotted the next day.  It was a child's kidney, which drastically increases the odds of clotting.  Adult kidneys with double arteries/veins have a far better survival rate. 

I would speak with Columbia to see if they have experience with double artery/vein living donor operations.  I am sure they do. 

If you are donating to a stranger, your recipient will be glad to pay for your expenses to donate at an experienced center. 

sherri:
Treat this as you would any other surgery. Nothing wrong with getting a second opinion. If you were receiving a kidney and were a difficult case, you would go for a second opinion. You are not only a donor, but a patient who will be undergoing real anasthesia with possible potential complications. Downstates program was closed because in October 2008, a living donor named Michael King donated to his wife. Post operatively he developed complications and bled to death. The cause of the bleed was linked to a clip called the Hemo clip that had been recalled at least 2 years prior. The surgeon claimed he was not aware of the recall. Complications can happen at any hospital but you do want to do due diligence and make sure you are comfortable with your team.

This is elective surgery so you can take the time to do the research. You did not mention who you are donating to but you need to advocate for yourself and make sure you are well informed of all the risks prior to surgery. You can change hospitals, change surgeons, get another opinion, choose to delay or cancel the surgery. You are free to do anything you feel comfortable with. Make sure you have people around you who advocate for your needs.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Sherri

Scott337:
Sounds like your surgeon has doubts and I'm guessing he would be more than open to suggesting an alternative if he hasn't already.  That's the kind of surgeon/physician you like to have - one who is realistic about the capacity/ability of his team.  Great advice by others on your post.  Good luck!

Scott 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version