Living Donation Discussion and News > Living Donation Forum

One week after surgery update!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Fr Pat:
Dear Sarah,
      Congratulations to you both!
      You need to eat, so don't be shy about anything you feel any craving or appetite for, even if it's just a few bites. Indulge yourself! For some reason anchovie pizza was the only food that really appealed to me after donation, and I don't even eat it usualy!
      Do as much walking and stairs as you can, and add in as much bending and stretching as comfort allows. As noted elsewhere, the sooner you get off the pain meds the better.
     As noted, constipation is a common problem after donation. Although it usually clears up, SOME (few) donors have suffered a bowel obstruction because the intestine formed a "kink" on being moved and disturbed, or an "adhesion" between sections. So do keep an eye on it, and don't be shy about checking with the hospital if it does not clear up.
     Another tip: some folks who don't like yogurt buy the helpful bacteria in Yogurt in capsule form over-the-counter. The anti-biotics administered in connection with the surgery can accidentally kill off some of the helpful bacteria that normally live in the gut and promote good digestion.
     Please keep us informed.
              Fr. Pat

Scott337:
Sarah,

Congratulations, what a wonderful sister you are and now you KNOW what a miracle it is that we can do something like this for others but feel so humbled and blessed to have been able to so intimately share in someone else's life and personal journey.  I'm SO happy for you and your sister both.

Good advice from all - isn't it great to have such immediate feedback from such a great group of people who have all taken a similar journey - I think you're ALL heros. 8)

Just remember, even though all of our experiences are quite similar, each of our bodies are different and will respond as such.  I can also say, I experienced a very similar bout of constipation (painfully so) but finally my wife purchased me an herbal and all natural stool softener (SENNA LAXATIVE sennosides, 8.6 mg) we were able to find at Target.  It's a natural vegetable laxative and guarantees to work overnight and it did for me.   It's oral rather than a suppository.  Try it.

Be patient but gently push yourself to move (walk, climb stairs, bend, etc.), eat and allow your body to tell you how you're doing.   You'll also find that your positive thoughts help you deal with pain management and the recovery period boredom.  I spent some of the quiet time during the day just basically meditating and thinking about all of the positive aspects of my choices and granting myself full acceptance of whatever came next for me and my recipient.

I was able to get myself off the pain meds as soon as I returned home and found that not only did Extra-Strength Tylenol seem to work just as good, but I felt better using this rather than a narcotic AND, it kept me from having further constipation issues.

I hope you're well and continue to do so and please give our collective best of thoughts and wishes to your sister and family also.  You truly are blessed my friend.

Scott :D

Aries7:
Hi Sarah!!

CONGRATULATIONS!! I am SO happy for you and SO proud of you!! You did it!! I knew you would do great. I have been watching on the board for your update post surgery. I am so glad to hear that overall things went so well.
The constipation thing is pretty normal. (and please don't be embarassed to talk about it here - we here have all been there so no worries!) I did not have to much of a problem with this. I did however, take stool softeners for a while ( I want to say maybe about 2 weeks??) after the surgery. The others have given you great advice as to things to eat/drink/try to get things moving.

It is interesting you mention a rash. I also developed a rash about a day and a half after surgery. Mine started on my abdomen and moved all the way up to the left side of my chest. They sent me home with a Prednisone pack. I ended up going through a few of those (three if I remember correctly) and then a really strong dose for 10 days before the rash finally went away. The weird thing is that my coordinator said I was the third patient in three months that had developed a rash like this. All three of us had different surgeons, etc. The only thing we had in common was that we had the same coordinator. They know it was from something they used during surgery, but don't know what. "Contact Dermatits" was all they could really tell me. Anyway, once it went away it never came back. Odds are, yours will not get that bad. Just wanted to share my rash experience with you and tell you to just keep an eye on it.
I agree with the previous advice about trying to walk as much as you can, but also be sure to rest when you feel like it. You really will heal up and feel better and be back to normal before you know it. Please continue to keep us updated as to how you and your sister are doing. I am just so happy for you! I also have to say it - "Welcome to the Club!!"
Many Hugs to You!

Linda

Prelude_Sarah:
Thank you all so much for the advice and encouragement!!  It is so amazing to have this wonderful group of people to talk to about these things.  After reading some of your responses, I immediately felt better. 
I thought I'd let you all know...I finally have been able to relieve the constipation.  Thank goodness!!!!  My family started clapping for me when I stepped out of the restroom with a smile on my face...priceless.
My rash seems to be about the same, if not perhaps just a little better today.  My face is still very dry and irritated, but I'm so glad to know that my basic bodily functions are intact.
My sister is struggling with some pain from her incision (as am I), but she is still doing great.  I think the awesomeness of all of this is still setting in for me :)

All my love,

Sarah

Jewels:
Sarah - Yay for you and your sister!  It is such a comfort to hear your story as I approach my surgery date (not until July 15 but that seems so close!)  It seems the transplant centers tend to sugar coat the reality of what the recovery is like, besides saying "the first week is rough" - You are a rock star...I am so happy for you.  Please keep the updates coming, it is beyond helpful for us "donors to be."

Wishing you all the best and a happy recovery!
Julie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version