| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Testing in 2 wks and I've got a UTI! Help!  (Read 3312 times)

Offline logansaunt

• Top 200 Poster!
Testing in 2 wks and I've got a UTI! Help!
« on: September 12, 2012, 10:16:50 PM »
My donor evaluation testing is on the 25th of this month, 12 days away from tomorrow, and I just found out I have a urinary tract infection. The nurse at the Quick Care clinic gave me a RX for Bactrim and when I told her about the upcoming tests she didn't seem too concerned. I came home and looked up Bactrim and potential side effects and now I'm scared to get the RX filled tomorrow. Should I call the transplant coordinator first?  I've got to do something, this UTI is pretty uncomfortable. Any advice??

Offline logansaunt

• Top 200 Poster!
Re: Testing in 2 wks and I've got a UTI! Help!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 10:23:24 PM »
I also failed to mention that the nurse prescribed the Bactrim for 10 days. This means I will get finished with it 2 days before testing. I was told testing would include bloodwork, chest and lung x-rays and a CT scan of my kidneys.

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 07:33:39 AM »
A UTI is something that you would want to report to the transplant coordinator or nephrologist who is evaluating you. Is this a one time thing or have you been diagnosed with a UTI before?  A UTI left untreated can go on to cause other urinary, bladder or kidney problems. The only way to get rid of the infection is with the antibiotics. Call your family doctor if you have concerns about the medication. Most medicines have side effects but often are not as worrisome as having a bacterial infection.

The purpose of the donor evaluation is to make sure that the donor is healthy enough to live as healthy a life had they not donated. If you have a history of UTI's then this is something that should be disclosed to the team evaluating you. Let the team know that you are on antibiotics and see if they would like to postpone the appointment for the testing till it clears from your system. Drinking fluids, emptying your bladder often (especially before and after intercourse - sorry to be graphic), wearing cotton undergarments can help keep the bacteria count down in the area.

good luck with your testing and stay healthy!

Sherri

Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 07:39:15 AM »
Dear Auntie,

You need to take care of your own health first.  Otherwise you will not be a good donor.  Not treating the infection would certainly cause you to have a bad result on your urinalysis when you are tested for donation.  Do drink LOTS of water while you are taking the Bactrim.  That will protect your *precious* kidneys.  There are other medications for UTI's, if you are concerned about taking Bactrim why don't you discuss other options with your physician?

love, elephant  

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 06:03:29 PM »
I had a history of utis and took bactrim the week before donating. The center, my PCP and OB didn't have any issue with me donating due to prior utis.

I found bactrim to be easier on my stomach than most antibiotics.
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved