| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Testing for out of state donor  (Read 8749 times)

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Testing for out of state donor
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 01:08:01 PM »
Karol,

I can only imagine the stress and anxiety related to finding a donor for Jenna. As a parent I'm sure you wish you could save Jenna but that isn't always possible. You know the intricacies of this system, and some people do decide after speaking with the transplant center, their own physicians and family that they do not want to continue. So maybe this person decided to opt out or if they have not contacted the transplant center yet because they are still thinking about the ramifications. Most centers encourage people to test first and think later, which IMHO is a little backward. The hospital and recipient want to identify possible donors and then present the donor with the medical out in order to satisfy the no coercion clause. However, in the interest of protecting the donor, one should really decide if they want to do this before finding out they are a match. It may also be in the best interest of the recipient and not to get one's hopes up too high to have found a donor but then find out they opted out. May be harder to swallow when you know there is a match but not accessible to you.

Good wishes as Jenna and your family face the next stage in her disease. I wish her the best health possible while waiting for another transplant. Hopefully "the one" is out there and you will find them soon.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 02:37:32 PM »
Thanks Sherri. I am alway cautiously optimistic yet the roller coaster of emotions does get to us sometimes.
You're right, there could be any number of reasons why a donor doesn't follow through, and in some cases we may never know why.
This transplant center does a whole work up and eval before any matching is done, as Jenna's high antibodies makes a match less likely, but a swap more likely.
I have faith that this will work out. Thank you for your support!  :)
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline Pam

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 09:51:24 AM »
 I live in Maryland and donated in New York. All of the lab work was done in NY, however I was able to do a couple of the follow up labs here in Maryland. Doesn't hurt to ask, I did.

All of the other bigger test they do most likely require them to be done at the hospital where the surgery will take place.

Pam

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional