| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Thankfully uneventful recovery  (Read 3055 times)

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
Thankfully uneventful recovery
« on: December 08, 2012, 07:35:36 PM »
I am now 3 months out from my donation.  So far, very good.  My wife has me drinking my water and taking my vitamins.  I am not yet back to my biking form. But what's the rush?  Occasional Fatigue is my only symptom(?) but I work hours that would make me tired anyway. 

One great blessing.  Even though non-directed,  it has been a great big joy to correspond with my recipient.  It's a great story!!  I'm sure one of many.  Merry Christmas!!!  :)

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Thankfully uneventful recovery
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 08:26:12 PM »
So glad all is well with you.  By 6 months you should be feeling like before donation hopefully, it took me at least that long, but then I wasn't in good healthy physical condition at donation.  I sure was 6 months later.  I tell everyone that donation saved 3 lives, my recipient niece, me by bringing my BMI down from 25 to 21, and my BP down, win win, plus hubby lost 40 lb and doesn't need 3/4 of the type 2 diabetes meds he was on, plus his left ventricle of his heart is nice and strong now. Surprising how exercise can be so good for you, haha. I feel there was a reason I was asked to be a donor, well not asked, I volunteered, again, when her first transplant failed after 9 years.  She has AgI neuphropathy.  So we will see how long my brave little rehomed kidney works for her.  I was 60 at the time of donation, and she is 37, so our ages are a bit off, but hey, a kidney is a kidney.  Sure beats dialysis.  One good thing about this kidney versus the first one is it kicks out the hormone that creates the red blood cells in the bones.  She used to have to get shots all the time to keep her hemoglobin up, doesn't need to anymore, but does have to take a little more anti rejection meds, but, at least they are the same antibodies she had with the first kidney.  Be well and get strong!
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Thankfully uneventful recovery
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 07:38:02 AM »
Dear Giants,

I am glad to hear you are recovering well and have been blessed to get to know your recipient.  I think the fatigue is not uncommon for donors, and hope you reach full strength soon.

Love, elephant

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved