| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: My kidney recipient brother just passed, from Covid  (Read 1983 times)

Offline Elizabeth

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
My kidney recipient brother just passed, from Covid
« on: December 31, 2022, 12:20:40 PM »
I am feeling very empty and alone.  Other siblings/friends can’t understand the depth of my loss.  Feeling like I lost him along with a part of me, literally.  Am hoping donors who have also lost their loved one will offer some help for my grief journey.
It would have been 13 years since donation, January 2010.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 02:00:35 PM by Elizabeth »

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Re: My kidney recipient brother just passed, from Covid
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 12:29:02 PM »
Best wishes, Elizabeth. There is as yet no easy, recognizable name for the post donation relationship between donor and recipient. Even so, most recognize there is one, of unique, deep meaning, even for those who make non-directed donations and never learn the identity of their recipients. I'm sorry your grieving isn't being acknowledged by those you expect support from. Do please take good care, and know that we understand that there is grief at this loss, and it can be very deeply felt.

If you're of a mind to reach out to peer donors with experiences you can review and choose from among for one on one conversation, please take a look at our Donor Buddy volunteers. https://livingdonorsonline.org/living-donor-buddies/living-donor-buddies-user-agreement/. I hope this helps.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Elizabeth

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 03:47:07 PM »
Thank u for your reply, Clark.  January 13, would have been our 13th anniversary, he passed on December 13th, one month shy of our 13th anniversary.  I have been looking on the donor buddies site, I had a couple terrific buddies before and after surgery.  I am not seeing anyone, so far, who mentions the loss of their recipient.  I am struggling.  The loss is so very deep, it’s very hard to explain to anyone even in my family, so I keep it to myself.  I am thankful that you are there!  And appreciate any input. 

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 08:06:37 AM »
I hope you're coping well, Elizabeth. I hope it's all right with you that I've added your anniversary to our calendar. If any of the details are incorrect or worded in a way you'd prefer to change, or if you'd rather I take it down entirely, please let me know. Best wishes.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional