| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: My experience  (Read 3481 times)

Offline MrMike66

• Top 100 Poster!
My experience
« on: April 29, 2013, 07:33:45 PM »
I donated on April 3rd.  I wrote about 4 page story of what I felt, saw, experienced.  I detail what side effects I had and what I did and didnt expect.  I have attached it here for those thinking about donating.  Im sure that everyone experiences something slightly different but it might be helpful.  I know when I was thinking about it I wanted all the experiences I could get.   I hope it helps.

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: My experience
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 11:28:16 PM »
Thanks for recording your experience.   I wish I would have as well when it was all fresh in my mind.  Experiences vary and having a range of them recorded would be worth while.   I have not forgotten the removal of the catheter nor shall I ever!
Oldnslow

"Donated kidney to my brother on Dec 8, 2008"

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 02:14:12 AM »
Dear "MrMike",
      Thanks for sharing your experience. It may be a big help to future potential donors. My own recovery, 11 years ago, was much easier than yours was. There certainly is a lot of variety in recovery experiences among donors. One frequent problem seems to be with side effects of pain medications. I would hope that the doctor/hospital would spot such side-effects more quickly, and be willing to substitute other pain meds to look for the best one for that patient.
     best wishes,
        Fr. Pat

Offline MrMike66

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 11:41:41 AM »
Fr Pat,

I gave all the details I did so that people might understand that there can be some complications and maybe expect odd things happening to your body, but that they do work themselves out.   I dont think any of my issues were that bad.  I mean these are annoying things, rashes, constipation, food tasting funny, burning sensation in my leg but all corrected themselves in time.  I think that if I knew ahead of time to expect such things than it would have made it all even easier.  From a A- to an A+.

Looking back 5 weeks out I have been back to work full time for two weeks.  All things have returned to normal and I have to stop and think about it that I actually donated a kidney?  My life is back to normal and I think it was a piece of cake and would do it again in a minute.

Mike

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional