Living Donation Discussion and News > Living Donation Forum

Just confirmed surgery on June 9th at Piedmont Hospital...

(1/5) > >>

twinkie:
Hello, I am new to this site but extremely grateful to find so much valuable information and encouraging stories from other donors.  I found out back in February that my best friend's father needed a kidney.  I knew instantly that I wanted to be the one to donate my kidney when I found out noone in his family was a match. There was not an ounce of hesitation on my part, if anything, I knew this had to be from the Lord.  I had such peace about this and I couldn't wait to let my husband know of my decision.  Of course, I couldn't understand why everyone in my family didn't have the same response as me.  I realized that not all people have a desire to do this but I knew that I did.  My husband knew by my face and the way I was beaming telling him about how I wanted to be able to give the Gift of life back to Chuck.  Ironically, my best friend introduced me to my husband 32 years ago and we only dated 10 days.  My husband new if it wasn't for my best friend, we would never had met, so now it is time to pay it forward.  With this being said, I am so excited to be a part of this wonderful group of individuals as a donor and of course to our wonderful famiies and friends standing behind us.  More important I want to thank the Lord for being my Rock in this decision....  If any of you have any advice to give me before the surgery on June 9th, I would highly appreciate it.  I am 49, 5'1, 108lb, love to run and eat really healthy.  So I know that is a plus but if you have anything to add to help me, I would appreciate it.. God bless you ALL!

Scott337:
Sounds like you're already prepared with the most important things - a sense of higher purpose, a big heart and a POSITIVE ATTITUDE - Good Luck and God bless - we'll be thinking about you.  Let us know how it all goes.

Scott 8)

twinkie:
Thank you Scott for replying to my post.  I am so excited and praying for a positive outcome.  I have read through most of the post on here and the information but love to read even more if there are other sites you recommend.  Again, thank you, Lisa/Twinkie..

Fr Pat:
Dear Twinkie,
        If you haven't done so already, you might want to look at the National Kidney Foundation website www.kidney.org  . Lots of the stuf there is about kidney disease and its prevention/detection, but it also has a section on living donation. www.transweb.org also has some things on living donation. And if you go to www.youtube.com and put "kidney transplant" into the search box you will find an assortment of videos (of varying quality, of course). At that same site you can find some nice videos of "U.S. Transplant Games".
      If you would like to read something about living donation from a Christian perspective, e-mail me at psofmcap@aol.com and I will send you something.
       best wishes,
           Fr. Pat (donor, '02)

twinkie:
Thank you Pat for the information that you have given me.  I can tell you that I will be up late tonight reading and listening to the videos.  I am so excited that this has happen so fast but yet I want to be spiritually and mentally prepared.  I will send you an email so that you can send me some information regarding Christian perspectives.  Again, thank you for your reply.... Sincerely, Lisa :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version