Living Donation Discussion and News > Living Donation Forum

Post donation diets

(1/2) > >>

upnover:
Having just donated I was wondering what others have done to change or modify their diets. Has it been a radical change? or just avoid as much sodium as possible? It seems you cant get away from anything that doesnt contain sodium to some extent nowdays. What about red meats? I love a good steak....are those days history? The more I read on line the more it looks like I'm heading for some wacked out diet!

Any advice comments appreciated.

sherri:
Donors, like everyone else should watch their sodium intake. Doesn't mean you can't have any just try not to exceed 1500 - 2000 mg a day. Stay away from prepared foods and that will cut down a lot. Whatever you would do for a heart healthy diet is the same for us. Make sure your cholesterol levels are within normal limits, low fat high fiber and fruits and veggies. Exercise helps me keep my blood pressure under control. As soon as I made walking a regular routine, my blood pressure came down after it had started to go up.Stress certainly influences my blood pressure. I generally don't drink caffeinated drinks, like dark colas and coffee. Others do and are ok. I would stay away from high protein diets. You don't want to overload your kidneys with too much protein. Key is balance as with anything.

Good luck staying healthy.

Sherri

Scott337:
Good rule is moderation - if you were a big eater, do what nutritionists have recommended for years;  your dietary needs include fresh fruits and vegetables (generally the darker the fruit or veggie, the more nutritional value it has - example: dark green vegetables as opposed to cauliflower and dark grapes as opposed to green grapes, etc...), you do need some protein, just don't over do it.  If you like to have a steak, eat them once in a while and make certain you eat a cut that is less marbled or trim fat from the meat.  Another good rule with meats and such have to do with portioning - nothing bigger than a deck of cards - this will assure you're not over eating.  You're better to eat several small meals each day rather than a couple of large ones.

Watching sodium intake is important for many reasons - try to limit your intake and use alternatives such as sea salt or spices.  It's amazing how you can find substitutes (fresh lemon juice on veggies instead of salt for example) and really don't miss the salt.

Intake of fiber is important - look for foods that are not heavily processed (additives, flavorings, preservatives, etc...) - for example; if you like pancakes - find a whole wheat batter - find breads that are whole grain and lightly processed or make your own; be smart about cereals - watch added sugars, trans fats and make certain they are whole grain.

Exercise is REALLY important.  You don't need to over do it, but some exercise each day is very helpful.  Many of us walk, interval train, run, play sports.   You'll be amazed how conscious healthy choices in your lifestyle (eating, exercise, rest, activities, listening to your body and seeking regular medical exams, vitamins, etc...) come easier and easier - that's why many believe that post-donation can be some of the healthiest times of your life.

Enjoy and stay healthy my friend.

Scott   8)

ohtobeahayes:
Hi!
Don't read TOO MUCH. There's a load of information out there in both directions, on any given subject. I feel NO differently than I did before donating, and i haven't changed very much. I have a cup of coffee in the morning. I eat pizza when I want to. We don't have or add salt to anything because I figure there's enough of it in everything as is. I'm not huge on meat anyway, but when the craving hits, I eat it. I think we are more aware, in general, of our health because we donated a kidney. We need to do the same as someone who has 2 kidneys and has never donated--- or "should" anyway- eat a balanced diet, eat more veggies and fruit and whole foods, exercise, get enough sleep, limit sugar, sodium and red meat. :) 
You are going to be fine. Don't read too much. There will always be extremeists out there. :)

Orchidlady:
While having one kidney does not necessitate a change in anyone's diet for any medical purpose, I think it is wise, in general, to become more conscious of your general health. Blood pressure and diabetes are neck-and-neck as the two major causes of kidney failure. Having seen what people with these diseases have to live with, along with what they have to endure on dialysis if kidney failure is a result, it is all the motivation anyone needs to do their best to live a healthy life and avoid that fate.

Excercise, a balanced diet, weight control and low sodium are all common sense factors that can keep one healthy. The low sodium is tough - we prepare everything fresh and eat out very rarely. It does make shopping easy - we rarely get outside the produce, meat and dairy aisles!

All that being said, you can't live like a hermit. Have a piece of cake at a birthday party - just don't have it everyday. Enjoy the pizza party with your friends - just have a piece or two of pizza not five or six. Life is meant to live and enjoy - but I would just like to have that life last as long as possible!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version