Living Donation Discussion and News > Living Donation Forum

5 weeks 1 day post-op update!

(1/2) > >>

Prelude_Sarah:
Hello! I just wanted to update you all about my sister and I.  Kaylah is still doing really well, her creatinine has been hanging out right around .88 since the surgery (it was actually .7 the day after surgery!).  Just today, 5 weeks and 1 day since the surgery, she had her stent removed.  She was really nervous about this procedure, but it ended up being painless and easy for her. 

I'm also doing really well!  I had a few hiccups in my healing process though, but even those weren't as bad as I could have ever imagined.  I developed an infection around my main incision, which my doctor thought to be Cellulitis.  I was put on Bactrim and thought that the infection was going away because the redness was decreasing.  Exactly 9 days after starting the antibiotics, I noticed my main incision was pussing and swollen.  I called the hospital right away, but the doctor told me I could wait until Monday (this was Saturday, the ER would have been busy!) to come in because I didn't have a fever.  It continued to be "upset" the next day. 
On Monday, I woke up with a splotchy rash on my arms, chest and legs.  I went to the hospital, where they determined that I had developed an allergy to the Bactrim and a Seroma around my main incision.  They made a hole in the incision to drain the puss and sent me home with gauze and tape.  What's strange to me is that the allergy didn't show up until the first day after my 10 days of taking it had been up...weird!

After a few days of resting and taking benadryl, the rash went away.  My incision continued to puss for a few days (I was changing the bandage quite often) but the pain had gone away since the pressure was relieved.
I thought for sure that I would have a little indentation on my incision from the hole they put there to drain it, but it's almost completely healed up already! 

I don't want to scare any potential donors by relating the minor complications that I experienced.  In fact, one of the reasons I wanted to share this experience was to say that even though it wasn't "fun", it wasn't that bad.
If I had known that I would have these small complications prior to the operation, I would have been even more scared (if that's even possible!).  I would have probably imagined that it would be very horrific to go through.  But even as I did go through it, it was TOTALLY manageable, and if anything, another unique experience to add to the myriad of other unique experiences that make up the whole donation process.

I'm feeling SO good now though.  There is almost no pain left in my abdomen.  I still feel a little muscular pain when I cough hard or sneeze too much, but the incisions are painless now.  One thing that I'm still dealing with though is fatigue.  I'm 26, and prior to this operation I had TONS of energy.  Now I find that I'm sleepy after only half a day of being up and about.  I've been told that this is normal, and should go away after some time.  And also, I had my creatinine checked at the 1 month post-op point, it was down to 1.13 from 1.19 the day after surgery!  That feels good, to see it go down a little bit already.

Another positive little side note...about a week ago, I realized I was flat broke.  I owe my school money and can't register until it's paid off, credit card bills, car registration was up...all of these things I realized at one time.  I hadn't been working for the past few weeks, and had NO clue how it was all going to work out.  I just hadn't planned on the financial side of donating...I don't know why, but I just figured that the little bit I had would last me.  Also, I had planned on going back to work sooner but had to put it off a little more because of the few complications I experienced.  My prayers have been answered however, because my wonderful older brother put up a fundraising website for me.  In just a few days, it's raised enough money to take care of most of the bills that were hanging over my head.  I find it difficult to take money, regardless.  But at the same time, this is saving me from sinking, so I am very grateful.

So, despite a few detours, ALL good news!  I have so much relief now.  I feel so grateful that it all worked out, my sister and I are both doing great.  It's a new kind of euphoria.  I've never been so grateful for the people in my life, and to be alive! 

Much love,

Sarah

Scott337:
Sarah,

What a great story and journey you've been on and continue to navigate.  I have so much respect and love for someone as young as you, with such honest introspect and feeling.  You are a beautiful person for being so giving, so loving of your sister (by the way, my youngest daughter's name is Kayla - spelled differently) and so willing to share with all of us and with potential living donors who might read and experience your journey and be comforted by what you say.  

Funny how some of the things we've estimated to be of such importance in our lives (material things, self-interest, etc) turn out to be rather devalued by some of our experiences, such as helping others and putting their well-being before ours or despite the risk to our own health and welfare.  

So many say they would like to or have never experienced an actual miracle, but I think it is more that our eyes need be opened to recognize the miracles in front of us.  Your gift of life, your selfless love and sacrifice are simple examples of the miracles God works through our lives.  Rejoice in his love and his care - you'll not want for the things that really matter in this World my friend.  You ARE someone's hero.

With much love & respect my friend!  I'm glad you're doing well and you'll continue to feel stronger and more full of energy with each passing day.  Take care of yourself.

Scott   8)

Fr Pat:
Dear Sarah,
     A suggestion regarding fatigue: many experts say that most Americans don't get enough sleep in the first place, and now you need extra sleep to help with recovery. Some donors try to go back to their regular bed-time after donation (even though they were actually sleep-deprived all that time.) Adjust your schedule to allow a FULL night's sleep, plus whatever naps are needed.
    It's a good idea, I think, for donors to have a fund-raising friend/relative ready to go into action. A couple of donors here who had a longer recovery than anticipated found themselves badly behind in bill-paying, and then it is HARD to catch up. Donors are allowed to be re-embursed for lost wages and all expenses realted to the donation, so it is great that you have someone to do the fund-raising for you. Many people, I think, are HAPPY to give once they know the need, so don't feel embarassed. You're not making any profit, just covering your costs, lost wages, etc.
   Fr. Pat

Jewels:
Sarah  - So glad to hear your story...and that even with some hiccups I can still feel the euphoria in your words.  It is encouraging to hear as I am now officially less than 1 month out...

All the best for you and your sister!
Julie

shelley:
Sarah, thanks for sharing about your allergic reaction.  I find I'm less scared the more information I have, not more scared.  Now that I know about what happened to you, I won't be as scared if something like that happens to me.

Also interested in the fund-raising website your brother did for you.  Two friends of my recipient and me are working on one too.  It embarrasses me and honors me at the same time.  I REALLY don't want anybody who needs the money more than I do, to contribute!~ so, mixed feelings....

Glad Kaylah is doing so well!  What are some improvements in her life since the transplant?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version