| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Baseball Has An Elbow Problem: More Pros Getting Ligament Surgery  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
http://www.npr.org/2014/06/08/320061096/tommy-johns-elbow-has-made-him-the-hottest-name-in-baseball

Baseball Has An Elbow Problem: More Pros Getting Ligament Surgery

The procedure involves taking a tendon from somewhere else in the body — or from a cadaver — and grafting it into place. Pitchers get it most often.

N.B.: "cadaver" was said with a tone that clearly communicated the presenter's squeamishness, whether real or feigned, and highlighted an "ick" factor.

I sent the following feedback to npr.org:

TWIMC,

While the topic is important, and the presentation overall was engaging, I was jarred by the outdated and tonally squeamish use of "cadaver" instead of the currently accepted "deceased donor." Human tissues come from people, not exhumed corpses, and are donated directly by living donors, by first person consent by advance directive by deceased donors, or by grieving family members. The transplantation community has widely recognized the undesirable denotation and connotations of "cadaver" and "cadaveric" when describing the source of donated human tissues. Modern medicine relies on millions of blood donors and thousands of organ and tissue donors annually. Recently, these professionals have begun to advocate for appropriate description of these gifts in all communications. I moderate the discussion forums at Living Donors Online! and have been a volunteer with the National Kidney Foundation, Donate Life America, the Organ Procurement Transplant Network, the United Network for Organ Sharing, the New England Organ Bank, the American Red Cross, Massachusetts General Hospital, and the Children's Hospital of Boston. Ask to speak to anyone involved in human tissue transplantation at any of these institutions, and while you may find some who still unthinkingly refer to donors as cadavers, you won't find any that don't know about the improved accuracy of the change in preferred usage. Keep up the good work, but watch out for using the "ick" factor for effect when speaking about a gift, likely with its own compelling story of grief and sacrifice.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Baseball Has An Elbow Problem: More Pros Getting Ligament Surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 08:13:17 PM »
Dear Clark,
     Good for you! At the Transplant Games I have met donor families who feel extremely offended when they hear the term "cadaver donation". Such organs and tissues come from deceased PEOPLE, much loved by their families.
   Fr. Pat

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved