| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Indiana woman saves Boston stranger's life with kidney donation via Facebook  (Read 2477 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/daily-extras/indiana-woman-saves-strangers-life-with-kidney-donation

Indiana woman saves stranger's life with kidney donation
By Sarah Swiss

[video]

An Indiana woman donated her kidney to a stranger in need that she found through Facebook.

Cheryl Welp, of Celestine, said she has always wanted to become a living organ donor to help give someone a second chance at life.

She was about to donate her kidney to a friend, but the woman suddenly got better. That is when Welp saw Chris Johnson’s Facebook post in December, ABC affiliate WCVB reports.

Johnson had kidney failure and was preparing for death. His Facebook page had been up for two years -- attempting to find a donor.

"I was petrified," Johnson told WCVB. "I could tell that the last three years, things had changed a lot. And things that were easy for me to do became more and more of a struggle. The right person came at the right time when I needed her to come."

Welp contacted Johnson and traveled to Boston, not only to meet him, but to give him the lifesaving gift.

"At 47 I was able to do something wonderful for another human being and Chris is one of the most precious people I’ve ever met,” Welp said.

The pair underwent surgery over the weekend and said they will have a connection for life.

Johnson said he will leave the Kidney for Chris Facebook page active so he can pay it forward.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional