| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Heart Disease  (Read 4290 times)

Offline wishusluck

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
Heart Disease
« on: October 08, 2019, 02:02:16 PM »
Hi all - just posted my Health Questionnaire and I'm worried they will refuse me as I have stents in my heart.  Anyone on here with heart disease ?

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Heart Disease
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 08:00:27 PM »
I myself did not have any heart problem. You might want to also post your question at the face-book page of Living Donors on Line as more donors check in there these days.

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 11:49:27 AM »
The evaluation is to make sure that you are healthy enough to donate a kidney, your remaining kidney can compensate and that any of your health conditions will not be made worse due to having a lone kidney. I would suggest you have a talk with your cardiologist. There may be medications that you need to take that need that additional kidney function you would be giving away. what happens if you need to have another cardiac catheterization, can you your one kidney handle the nephrotoxic dye. There are some studies that those with one kidney may be more at risk high blood pressure and protein in the urine. These are not issues someone with a heart condition would want to subject themselves to. it would be terrible to create a situation where a donor would go onto need a kidney .It happens but hopefully not due to something that could have been prevented in the evaluation process.

I hope your center does a thorough job in screening for your sake and for the overall kidney donor program. Accepting donors who are at risk jeopardizes everyone. There is more than one way to help a patient in end stage renal failure; donating a kidney is just one. The recipient  and donor needs help with transportation to appointments, maybe monetary loss of wages while they are out with surgery,  help with paying for medications if they have high co pays(recipient), babysitting, errands, cleaning.

Best of luck with your evaluation.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline 1KidneysEnuff

• Top 200 Poster!
  • Kidney donor 2018
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 01:00:06 PM »
Do you have any limits on exercise with the stents? I don't know enough about stuff like that to give any advice, but I do know that part of the evaluation as a donor is to predict whether your entire system will be able to take the strain of surgery.

Good luck and thank you for trying to be a donor!

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional