| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Who's had a post-op hernia?  (Read 13618 times)

Offline jennybebopper

• Top 50 poster!
Who's had a post-op hernia?
« on: April 03, 2012, 11:52:26 AM »
I know there are a lot of threads talking about fear of getting a hernia, but curious how often it actually happens.  After 5 weeks I am slightly "lopsided" to the side of my main vertical incision above the belly button (the non-surgical side).  I wouldn't call it a big bulge, it just looks different, like things were sewn together slightly asymmetrically or something.  No pain, no noticeable changes with movement or bearing down.  And, it's been that way since my swelling went down post-op, no changes for better or worse.  Mostly just an aesthetic nuisance, but I don't want to risk something going back to work.

So, I'm not trying to get it diagnosed online per se, just wanted to see if anyone else has been similarly "off-balance" in the mirror.  I know I can call my transplant center and get it checked out, but I thought I'd see what other people have experienced first.  I think it's just my surgical naivety.

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Who's had a post-op hernia?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 07:24:31 PM »
I had a bit of a lump on my above my main incision that looked like a shelf.  It flattened out completely after a few months.   

Better to be safe and check with your PCP or center.
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline Barbara S

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 08:08:44 PM »
I had a hernia - it was a buldge above my belly button - no pain at all.  It was my PCP who told me it was a hernia, was repaired 8 months after my donation by the transplant team.
Proud Kidney Donor to Brother
December 9, 2003
at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital

Offline riniona

• My first post!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 05:24:16 PM »
I'm having surgery next week to repair an incisional hernia.  My kidney donation was 8 years ago, so I guess it can happen.

--Carolyn

PS, Hi Barbara!   Havent been here in a while.  Same here, i have a small bulge above my navel.

Offline kali

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 12:12:54 PM »
I felt my little hernia right at one of the small lap. incision sites about two months after the surgery (when I was finally brave enough to really mush around there with my fingers.)  It was a small bulge that I could feel with my fingertips.  It wasn't really that noticeable just looking at it.  They repaired it (after much ado w/the donor coordinator) with another laproscopic surgery using staples/stitches (forget which-too small for the netting). 
It will be two years this June and I still have a small roll over the bikini line incision.  The hernia site is fine.

Offline mom2three

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 02:52:27 PM »
I developed an incisional hernia at my main Pfannenstiel incision 14 months after my donation. I first noticed a golf ball-size bulge that was pain free but would pop out even more when I bore down. I had it fixed at my donor center (open repair rather than laparoscopic) and both sides are almost equal though there is still a little bulge.
Donated to cousin on 6/29/2010 at Cleveland Clinic

Offline poodles

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 03:19:33 PM »
No hernia here.. My surgeon told me that they go through three layers of stomach muscles, splitting & separating but not cutting them. Then after the donation one layer is sewn up & the two remaining layers were sewn up together as they lie in the same direction. Not sure if their is a standard procedure for incisions & close ups.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved