| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: I have a date - 6/29 at UAB!!!  (Read 5199 times)

Offline SWB

• Top 50 poster!
I have a date - 6/29 at UAB!!!
« on: June 03, 2012, 10:11:42 PM »
I was cleared for surgery last week to donate my right kidney to my “Bruncle” (Uncle raised as one of my Brothers).  The journey thus far has been an adventure to say the least.  And, I must say I am blessed so far since the situation has led me to focus on my health and family.  My Blood Pressure was border-line and I have a family history of hypertension.  So, I have been doing everything in my power to get it down.  Dropped over 50 lbs total in less than a 4 month period, changed my diet, been going to the gym at least 5 days a week, and committed myself to more of a life-work balance.  I realize that it is now a lifelong commitment and on board for that too!

Had a bit of a last minute scare last week because my transplant coordinator told me that I had passed my blood pressure monitor and in all likelihood she would be calling me at the end of the day to clear me for surgery.  Well, when reviewing all of the tests and xrays from a few months back they discovered I had a cyst on my right kidney.  After rushing to do a follow up ultrasound and submitting the results, a week later everything has worked out.  I am almost afraid to jinx the situation due to the multiple "just one more hurdle" items that have cropped up thus far.  And, I know I am not completely out of the woods yet since there is always the chance of last minute issues.

That said, I am scheduled to donate my “righty” at University of Alabama Hospital (UAB) in Birmingham on June 29.  I have heard great things about the facility, and though we have experienced a lot of setbacks due to more and more tests, I know that they have my health and best interests in mind.

Much thanks for all that everyone has posted and commented on when visiting this site.  I have learned and continue to learn so much.  And, like others, I will update everyone on the status of things pre-surgery and post-surgery as my journey continues.

Warmest regards - Scott
Scott
Donated right kidney to uncle
October 18, 2012 at University of Alabama (UAB)

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: I have a date - 6/29 at UAB!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 03:31:48 PM »
Congratulations!  I remember fondly how I felt when I was cleared for surgery.  What an exciting time.  Praying for successful surgeries for both you and your bruncle, and that righty takes off immediately and works hard for many, many years to come! ;D
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 11:57:21 AM »
Congratulations on the approval.  It really is an enormous step. And also congratulations on the weight loss--really impressive!
  Good luck, Snoopy

Offline alyfaye

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 05:59:25 PM »
Congratulations on being approved! It is such an amazing thing! I also agree with Snoopy, the weight loss is very impressive. Congrats!

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 05:19:06 AM »
University of Alabama-Birmingham is one of the TOP transplant centers in the world.....I had a magnificent experience with them.
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline SWB

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 09:39:07 AM »
Phil, haven't logged in lately due to crazy schedule.  My sugery at UAB was delayed due to issues with my uncle being too weak to survive the surgery.  However, I wanted to say that I can't imagine a better place for Surgery.  UAB is remarkable.  And, Dr. Vulcar, one of the MD's on the transplant team, was incredible when she was breaking the news to my Uncle that we had to cancel the surgery for the next day.  Obviously he was a bit devistated since he was within 12 hours of having a kidney.  It isn't often that you see the level of compassion, care, and concern that she expressed with him as she explained the rationale behind it being in his best interests and understood his frustration.

They kept him in the hospital to build up his system so we can all be ready for round two.  At this point we are about a month from the original surgery date and the difference for him is amazing.  With their advice/focus he is so much stronger and excited for round two.  He is actually grateful now that they did not proceed and agrees with their decision. 

I have told my family and friends if I ever need any major surgery or tune-up then take me to UAB LOL.

Now, we are back in a bit of a holding pattern while we wait out the 6 week timeframe from when they gave him new blood transfusions to do another antibody cross-match.  Then, hopefully we are on again for surgery sometime late September or October. 

And, UAB has been there for BOTH of us the whole way, including the surgery team, my transplant coordinator Maryann, and all of the support staff.  They are a truly awesome facility!
Scott
Donated right kidney to uncle
October 18, 2012 at University of Alabama (UAB)

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional