| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Hello! :D New here!  (Read 6367 times)

Karendrae

Hello! :D New here!
« on: April 08, 2011, 11:41:41 AM »
Heya! My name is Kare (Care). I've just recently become interested in Living Organ Donation (I'm already signed up to be an organ donor after death).

I'm just here to learn a little more, and figure out how I'll need to get started when the time comes. At the moment, I'm doing a Surrogacy for a couple that is infertile so I'm obviously not in a position to donate right at this time (Give me a year or so, lol) :3.

My first question is. What about my blood type? I'm female, 23, BMI of 31, and have O- blood. How will this effect my ability to donate?
My second question: How is a recipient chosen? I would like to be involved in that process. I would like to meet the person I'm helping <3.
My third question is: Recovery time? I know there is likely going to be a week long hospital stay (So I will need to have my mother or family watch my babies), but will I need help at home? Do any experienced donors have an idea?
and finally, last question for today: Is it safe to donate multiple times (I mean different organs). Has anyone for instance donated both a Kidney and part of their liver etc?

I know I probably sound pretty ignorant. So forgive me :3. I have an entire year or so to learn.I want to go into this educated.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 11:47:39 AM by Karendrae »

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
Re: Hello! :D New here!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 09:54:49 AM »
My first question is. What about my blood type? I'm female, 23, BMI of 31, and have O- blood. How will this effect my ability to donate?
O blood type is the universal donor, so you will match anyone on that basis. There is still another more complete blood matching test call "cross matching" that might rule you out, as well as a complete physical exam and evaluation of your kidneys, but type O blood will get you past the first step. By the way, the Rh factor (+ or -) doesn't matter.

Your BMI is a little high. Each transplant center has its own policies so it may not be an issue. The UNOS Living Donor Committee recommendations suggest a closer look at anyone with a BMI greater than 30. You're close to that guideline, so a little weight loss should make that issue go away.

My second question: How is a recipient chosen? I would like to be involved in that process. I would like to meet the person I'm helping <3.
It sounds like you would actually like to make a directed donation instead of an anonymous nondirected donation. In that case, you might consider checking with friends and family to see if there's someone you already know who needs a transplant. You could also post a note on a site like matchingdonors that would allow you to vet any potential recipients.

If you work through a transplant center, you will be subject to their policies, which may require that you remain anonymous unless the recipient also agrees to be contacted. The transplant center would also likely require you to donate to the person on their list most in need according to the UNOS algorithm; you wouldn't be able to choose for yourself.

My third question is: Recovery time? I know there is likely going to be a week long hospital stay (So I will need to have my mother or family watch my babies), but will I need help at home? Do any experienced donors have an idea?
As a general rule, you should plan on about six weeks for a recovery before you can resume "normal" activities, assuming you don't have any complications from the surgery. You can read more about recovery times here: https://livingdonorsonline.org/kidney/kidney5.htm

and finally, last question for today: Is it safe to donate multiple times (I mean different organs). Has anyone for instance donated both a Kidney and part of their liver etc?
I'm aware of a couple of people who have donated both a kidney and a portion of their liver. It is exceedingly rare. Most transplant centers won't consider someone who has already been an organ donor for a second donation because of the additional stress on the body. There is no medical research at all that reports on the long-term consequences of a dual donation.

Hope this helps you along your educational journey. Please let us know if you have additional questions. Also, please be sure to read all the educational materials on the LDO web site.
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 10:54:50 AM »
Welcome!
Reading through the experiences section will help you a lot too.
I have 4 kids (aged 8, 6, 5 and 4 at the time of donation).  I donated July of last year.
There are so many variances for people regarding recovery times. That was my 2nd major surgery in a year, 3rd surgery overall. I have a high pain tolerance and before my hysterectomy was told to train like I was going to run a marathon- work out (work up to it, of course, but make it a priority), eat well, do everything I could to help my body before hand and that it would make a huge difference afterwards. So I cut out caffeine, I started running 3-5 miles a day, and eating well. 
I also work from home so I was only off work for 2 weeks. I did have help with the kids though, sometimes I was just too tired out to get them that snack or get to the bottom of who hit who and why it was warranted even though the other one did this other thing. :) How old are your kids? I did get mine prepared and they were THE BEST EVER during all of my recoveries.  They would snuggle gently, learned how to get on the counter to get their own glass of water (hehe) and other things.
Much depends on what type of job you have outside of the house (if you do), age of kids, and help available to you. I planned on the recommended 6 weeks and considered it a pleasant surprise when I felt "normal" mostly by 5 weeks.  Plus that way I could still steal a nap whenever I wanted under the 6 week umbrella.  :)

Happy researching!!!!!

Sometimes even if you are to donate anonymously, we are able to meet the recipient. This is NOT always the case though and shouldn't be counted on. There's much to consider on this front...and perhaps you can find a match on the website M suggested.  The thing I never envied about the job of the transplant clinic is the "who is more worthy" question they sometimes need to answer.  Is a younger person more "worthy" than a 60 year old? Is someone who isn't on dialysis yet  "as worthy" as someone who's near death, even if they are further up on the list? Etc Etc Etc.  I didn't want to have any idea who mine went to just because I didn't want to form any ideas of WHO I thought it "should" go to. That might sound crazy. I did meet my recipient, and entire chain (and will see them again in 6 days at the National Kidney Foundation event we're going to), and as it turns out, it couldn't have gone to someone more in need, and I'm forever thankful that everything worked out how it did.  Another aspect to prepare yourself for is to not become attached to results.  Sometimes there are rejection episodes, or the kidney stops working sooner than we'd like, or any number of things. Recipients do not have nearly as easy a time with recovery as we do. Their surgeries are way more invasive and the medications afterwards can be harsh.  If they were in very poor health, it takes time to get everything up and running again.
I LOVED the research part of learning about donation, and I hope you find everything you are looking for.  There are websites and people out there who did NOT have such good experiences.  I think it's important to read them and be aware of what can happen, what has happened in some cases, and what is possible.  I think the majority of us have had positive experiences though.  :)
Take care!
Nicki
Be the change!
Nicki

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 07:42:30 PM »
Dear Kare,
     Here's another thought regarding your wish to have a say in choosing your recipient, and in meeting him/her at some point:
--- If you were willing to sacrifice that wish, the way to get "the most bang for your buck" in kidney donation is to offer to start a "chain" of donations. This means that you would let the program select your recipient. BUT, they would choose a matching recipient who has a willing donor who is incompatible to donate to him/her. You would give your kidney to that patient, and then that patient's incompatible donor would donate to someone else chosen by the program. But again the program would choose another recipient who has a willing but incompatible donor. And so on down the line: each patient receives a kidney from a stranger, and then their incompatible donor gives to another stranger. These "chains" can result in several (or even a dozen or more) otherwise impossible transplants, but ONE non-directed donor (who gives, but does not receive) is needed to start off the chain. Thanks to improved computer data-bases etc. they can scan through hundreds of patients to set up these matches. If you would be willing to look into this option you can go to www.kidneyregistry.org or www.paireddonation.org
Whether you would meet your recipient or not would depend on that person's willingness. Their privacy is respected if they so wish. But it does appear that in practice most of the recipients in these chains are open to meeting their donors.
    best wishes,
      Fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional