| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Will know Tuesday 10/30/2012 If I am able to be a donor  (Read 3673 times)

melynda74

Will know Tuesday 10/30/2012 If I am able to be a donor
« on: October 28, 2012, 11:08:07 PM »
 ???

Hello everybody here on LDO can I just say this site is amazing and has helped me so much already, and I only found it today. I have so many questions and sometimes anxietys over this. Is this normal? Does the anxiety mean I shouldnt do this? I have noticed a lot of people have dontated a kidney and that tends to be more dangerious from what i understand. Is this true?

Seriously confused, Mel

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Will know Tuesday 10/30/2012 If I am able to be a donor
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 07:22:59 AM »
Dear Mel,
     Hi. Kidney donation is major surgery, and all major surgery has its risks. I think it would be strange if a potential donor did NOT have any anxiety. So it's important to keep reading (past posts at this site can be a big help, as well as the "experiences of other living donors" section). It appears from the experiences shared here that some hospitals do a much better job than others in carefully explaining all the small but genuine risks involved, so that the potential donor can make a well-informed decision. So do your own reading, and also don't be shy about asking questions at the hospital.
     This site is particularly helpful because donors who have had problems or complications have been generous and honest in sharing their experiences. Feel free to ask any particular questions, as there are a lot of donors here who are happy to help out any way we can.
     You can also go to www.youtube.com and put "kidney donation" in the "search" box to find a variety of short and long videos on the topic. Searching "Transplant Games" there will also bring you a number of up-beat videos of recipients and donors celebrating transplant success by participating in competitive sports events.
      So, keep on getting well informed. You are always free to decide not to donate, so keep your option open.
   best wishes,
   Fr. Pat (donor, '02)

Offline mintx

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 12:38:24 PM »
I hope you get your answer when they tell you.  I thought I would find out last week and my team decided they want two more test to make their final decision.  However, during my big "evaluation day"  several members of the team commented that I am "very well informed".  I credit this site for giving me the information I needed about the entire process.  I am also in contact with a "donor buddy" who has been VERY helpful.

So while I finish my testing, it  is nice to know that I received thoughtful, accurate information and resoures from LDO. 

Please use the search feature to look up answers to your questions.  Also, I found it helpfull to scrol through past threads and read what looked intersting to me. 

Good Luck!

Offline SWB

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 04:37:47 PM »
Each person has to address their comfort in donating based on their own personal experience and situation.  I would say that anxiety is completely normal.  My transplant team really went out of their way to make sure I was informed and not pressured into donating when I did the second portion of the early on evaluation.

As noted in an earlier posting, I was so wrapped up in donating that I did not even think about going to my own doctor and getting independent feedback.  I finally did so, and in the end I consider myself very lucky.  No issues existed and he provided some excellent advice to me as well. 

I guess what I am saying is that some level of anxiety is normal.  However, if you sense that your anxiety is preventing you from making solid decisions or is a major influence then I would encourage you to pause, get some input from your MD (or even a therapist or donor advocate) and then re-evaluate your options.

Donating was one of the best decisions that I ever made.  It was not without risk; however, my receipient (Uncle) and I are so blessed to have such a great outcome.  In the end, donating is such a personal decision and one you have to make yourself - so get informed and make sure you are in the right mental state beforehand.

Warmest regards,

Scott
Scott
Donated right kidney to uncle
October 18, 2012 at University of Alabama (UAB)

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved