| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: When to start risky behavior?  (Read 6149 times)

Offline kdub

• Top 50 poster!
When to start risky behavior?
« on: October 29, 2012, 02:59:17 PM »
Hi everyone,

Gave my brother a kidney back in early July, and all is well.  I'm running, riding, and weight lifting a lot.  But, now I would like to get back into dirt jumping on my bike, which I did almost every day before my donation.  I know I am at risk, should I physically injure my remaining kidney.  So, I plan to wear a protective vest and kidney belt.  But, my question is... is it too soon?  My incision site is still puffy and red.  Not sure if a hard landing would open back up my incision at this point, or cause other problems?  Anyone have any thoughts?  Thanks!

KDUB

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: When to start risky behavior?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 09:09:39 PM »
You say your incision is still puffy and red. Have you had a post operative visit? You should be checked on at one month, six months, 12 months and two years. Some places actually look at you, most just send you a form so they can record the data. But before engaging in any "risky" behavior you may want to have your incision looked at by your surgeon at the transplant center or with your PCP. I am not a physician but "puffy and red" doesn't sound like your incision has totally healed. Always better safe than sorry, at least for a worry wart like me.

Good luck going back to your previous activities. It is very exciting to return to pre donation life.

Let us know how it goes.

Sherri

Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 10:45:26 PM »
It would be wise to check with your transplant center to be cleared for strenuous activity. It is very easy to see what's on the outside - not so easy to see how things have healed or are healing on the inside.
Glad you are doing well.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline SWB

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 04:29:47 PM »
KDUB,

I gave up the option of contact-related sports when I decided to donate - so I would say DON'T DO IT due to risk!  However, I know that everyone has their own hobbies and things that are important to them and it sounds like this is one of those situations :).

Now that I have that out of the way - I would strongly suggest that you make an appointment with YOUR personal physician and discuss the situation with him/her.  I am about a week and half out from post op and healing nicely.  As others posted, the puffiness and redness you describe doesn't sound like something I would mess around with.  And, even if you talked to the transplant team, I would suggest getting the independent opinion from your own doctor as well.

Wishing you luck on the follow up and also lots of fun on the other activities you enjoy!

-Scott
Scott
Donated right kidney to uncle
October 18, 2012 at University of Alabama (UAB)

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 02:10:50 PM »
dear kdub 

you have done a wonderful thing by donating.  now also do something for yourself, and attend to your follow up care.   this is your opportunity to heal properly from surgery.  you'll be back to 'normal' soon enough. 

love, elephant

Offline kdub

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 02:50:31 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, and helping me remember that I can't pretend like this never happened, and go back to my normal life!  Making an appointment with a physician now...

KDUB

Offline ac711a

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 08:53:01 PM »
Kdub,

just wondering what ever came of your appointment?  I am waiting for a paired donation match to donate for my mom and my hobby is driving dirt stock cars.  The docs say it won't be a problem after donation but I would like to hear a real person side

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 01:21:49 AM »
Dear "Ac 711",
     One way to help evaluate whether stock car racing would be excessively risky after donating a kidney would perhaps be to investigate just how many drivers have been in accidents where they survived but lost one kidney. Your remaining kidney is in no greater danger than it was before, but you no longer have a "spare" if one is lost/damaged. Is there anyplace that keeps statistics of injuries to drivers in those races?
   Fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional