| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: A favor to ask  (Read 13957 times)

Offline valentine

• Conversationalist
Re: A favor to ask
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 05:56:48 PM »
Maybe to try and make you a little less "freaked" :   try to remember that in the grand scheme of the universe, god's grand plan, the big picture, whatever you want to call it, there is a reason for everything to happen. Things are happening with you and your sister just the way they were meant to be. One or both of you are meant to learn a huge "life lesson" from this. Nothing happens randomly, just as when I gave my daughter the kidney. It brought us together on a much deeper level, and I spent so much time with her as a young adult that I really learned many lessons from her. She passed away 2 years ago, two days after she turned 35 years old. As hard as that was I know that too was meant to be.
More positive thoughts,
Valentine
Don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.

Offline Kid Sister

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2011, 08:28:47 AM »
Hi, Sarah -

First of all, I have to admit that I didn't experience any of the preoperative anxiety you are experiencing.  I truly believed that I had been called by God to give my kidney to Susie, and that belief somehow managed to relieve me of all of the fears I should have felt beforehand.  I shared all of the "big" positives already listed by the other posters here, but there were also a few small surprises that really touched me:

--One of the nurses on the transplant unit shared with me that "kidney donors are what keep us going."  She told me that caring for living donors was her favorite part of her job because we are so happy and healthy and we remind her of the good in people.  She said that we help her through the heartache of frequently losing patients (mostly those in liver failure) who die waiting for a transplant.

--Before the surgery, I never truly imagined the impact of my donation on Susie's family (duh!)  After the surgery, I got the most beautiful letter from her husband, and her mother continues to send me cards and flowers and has a mass dedicated to me each year commemorating my gift.

--Susie and I have become very close friends.  I barely knew her before the transplant; her 13-year-old daughter was one of my patients.  It is such a thrill to see her living a full life again and knowing that I helped to make that possible!

--I also lost weight after the surgery - about 10 pounds.  For the most part, I have kept it off.

--My faith in God has been strengthened immensely.  I have truly lived the promise that, "The will of God will never lead you where the grace of God cannot protect you."  I hope you can find some comfort in that promise, too.

I wish you all the best and pray that you find peace in the coming days before your surgery.  The pain and fatigue are short-lived, but the spiritual and emotional benefits will change you forever.   

Anne-Marie
Donated my right kidney to my friend, Susie, on 10-14-08
Loma Linda University Medical Center

Offline valentine

• Conversationalist
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 11:34:14 AM »
Sarah - tomorrow's your big day! Positive thoughts and energy to you! This is big, and your life will be so enriched and enlightened from this!
Valentine
Don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 05:31:50 PM »
Hi Sarah!

I just want you to know that I am thinking about you and am wishing you the very best of luck on your big day tomorrow! You are going to do GREAT!! Please let us know as soon as you can afterwards as to how it went and how you are doing. We will all be here, waiting to hear from you and give you an official "Welcome to the Living Organ Donors Club!!"

Lots of Hugs to You!! :)

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 08:10:05 AM »
Sarah,

Today is your day. Just want to wish you and your sister all the best. You make a great donor and looking forward to welcoming you to the club. Let us know how you are feeling as soon as you are ready.

You are in my thoughts and prayers today for a full and speedy recovery.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline shelley

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 10:31:20 AM »
Sarah, I woke up today thinking of you and your recipient, and what joy and health you're bringing to her life!  Well done!

Offline llinton98

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 12:03:26 PM »
Dear Sarah,

You are in my thoughts and my prayers today. Wishing you and your sister a speedy recovery!

Laura

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
YES!
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 02:26:55 AM »
Praying for you in the wee hours of this morning...Wishing you a very speedy recovery.
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional