| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: I'm copying Sarah!!!  (Read 6151 times)

dlpisgiving

I'm copying Sarah!!!
« on: April 28, 2011, 01:55:09 PM »
Hi all,
I have been lurking for a bit and decided to finally register.  I loved Sarah's question about the great things about donating.  Anybody out there who can do the same for me only for liver donations? I'm terrified as well.  My surgery isn't until June which maybe isn't a good thing as the waiting is hard.  Thanks in advance!!! ;)

Offline Prelude_Sarah

• Top 50 poster!
Re: I'm copying Sarah!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 02:39:27 PM »
Yay!!  Copy away!!!  I have never donated part of my liver, but I do have a co-worker that did that for her father.  She has been one that gives me a lot of comfort and advice about donating a part of your body for someone who needs it.  I don't know every detail of her story, but she is a very healthy and happy person now, many years after the donation.  She does say that it was the best decision she ever made, and she would do it all over again if she could.  I hope that helps a little!  Hang in there, we're all here for you!! :)

Sarah
Donated left kidney to younger sister on May 10th, 2011

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 07:52:01 PM »
     Peggy Noonan (former Presidential speech writer) who writes columns and articles (N.Y. Times?) had a niece who donated a liver lobe to a relative. Peggy was so impressed by her courage and generosity that she wrote an article about it ("Good Housekeeping"? "Woman's Day"? don't recall). After recovery she also invited her niece to attand a swanky formal affair for big-wigs in Washington. Peggy had a designer make for her neice a special formal gown for the occasion with a large cut-out beautifully arranged in the front to show off her "Mercedez-benz" donation scar.
She was the hit of the evening, with some asking to take a closer look (for educational reasons, of course.)
    Fr. Pat

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 07:57:22 PM »
     Also, check the link Michael posted to fotos under "National Donor Recognition Ceremony" a couple of slots down on this forum. Clicking the "next" indicator under the fotos will lead to several nice fotos of liver donors.
   Fr. Pat

dlpisgiving

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 08:39:29 PM »
Thanks!!! Sarah, you and I could be sisters with our fears!  I still have about 6 weeks to go if I don't hyperventilate to death before then!  My fears are...well...dying...and the pain afterwards.  Everyone says it is BAD even with the meds...which by the way make you nauseaus.  I have a bad back and I'm also concerned about how this surgery will impact it.  In any event, I appreciate this moment of online therapy!

p.s...couldn't find spell check on here so I apologize in advance for any typos!

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 09:50:41 PM »
Hello and Welcome!

I donated a kidney, not part of my liver. But I just wanted to welcome you and congratulate you on your upcoming donation. You are doing a fantastic thing, and I wish you all the best. Please feel free to post on here any time you need us. There are some truly fantastic people on this board that are more than happy to offer their support and advice.
Please do keep us updated how you are doing, and feel free to post anytime!

Best wishes!! :)

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

dlpisgiving

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 07:39:53 AM »
Thanks Linda...everyday that it gets closer, I keep getting lots of "what ifs" in my mind.  I won't back out...just am thinking too much!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional