| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Re: I am a donor from 1978  (Read 2889 times)

Offline rramos1959

• My first post!
  • Reactions: +0/-0
Re: I am a donor from 1978
« on: May 18, 2013, 12:23:07 PM »
I had the biggest scare when the doctor told me that my kidney Creatinine level was at 3.9 and it was in the process to fail because of Dehydration  "for those whom are older like me dont take this for granted, our organs take a beating the older we get.  :-[

I donated my kidney to my sister in 1978, currently my sister is no longer with us, and she lived an extra 5 years with my kidney and past away with complications, not from the kidney. Currently I had been hospitalized because I became dehydrated and the affect hurt my one kidney I had left. Today I am on this board to tell those who have donated.... to remember there are things that one must do in order to not be affected and end up on Dialysis.

1. No alcohol whatsoever, 2.ask your doctors about what side effect does ANY prescription that they are prescribing you have on your kidney (if any change it!) 3. Renal diet is a good one but you can still eat regular food just, limit the potassium type food and vegetables 4. WATER is the MOST essential and have minimum 12 cups of water a day, If you’re in hot weather double that dose. 5. If you have high blood pressure or Diabetes make it a point to have REGULAR CHECK UPs (VERY IMPORTANT!) and always ask your doctor for your blood work to look at your Creatinine levels

Hope this little information helps all of the kidney donors out there.  :D

Offline mel4756

• My first post!
  • Reactions: +0/-0
  • Kidney Donor, 1975
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 10:04:12 AM »
Thank you for the information. I gave a kidney to my sister 38 years ago. She still has it, so it is officially hers since she has owned longer than I did. :D 

I'm sorry your sister passed. That must have been difficult.

I was never told by the doctors/hospital to have any follow-up testing done since the transplant. The concentration was always on my sister. I guess I better find out who to see and make an appointment to find out if everything is okay!

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Reactions: +26/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 01:49:02 PM »
It is always nice to hear from donors who donated a long time ago and hearing about the long term health issues. I imagine that over 25 years ago not much was known about donor health other than the fact that people can live with one healthy kidney. we have progressed a little bit in that kidney donors are followed for two years post donation and advised to have an annual health check up with their primary care physicians at least once a year and have blood work and labs done to make sure their lone kidney is compensating. Donors are also advised to avoid over use of NSAIDs (products like aleve, ibuprofen, naproxen) and alert any health provider of their lone kidney status so they are not exposed to any nephrotoxic dyes if not warranted.

Please do check with your own physician about alcohol consumption, the amount of water to drink and certain diets restricting protein, potassium etc. It is important for donors (and anyone for that matter) to know their blood pressure, their weight, cholesterol, creatinine, sugar etc). In this way we can all be proactive in our health care.

What hasn't happened is the long term follow up with donors. I believe the public at large would be willing to learn more about living donation if living donor health was paramount and made a priority instead of shifting the responsibility for follow up care all to the donor.

Ramos, I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your sister. This must have been very difficult for you as a sibling and as her donor.

Mel, so encouraging to hear your donated kidney is still filtering and functioning in its new "host". Wishing you and your recipient continued health.

I would love to hear from other long time donors.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved