| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: MTHFR gene mutations and donation  (Read 5352 times)

Offline Rob_h

• Top 50 poster!
MTHFR gene mutations and donation
« on: October 20, 2013, 03:03:08 PM »
I have not posted for a while, donated to a person the hospital matched me with, 2005; became sick in about 2007, progressive, neurological, later found to be Lyme, but with a twist, I became sicker from most medications.  Was tested for MTHFR gene mutation, I had both, 667 and 12XX (cannot remember exact number).   These mutations, which affect various issues, but in my case, problems with methalation, the removal of toxins (and medications, etc).  When you add low kidney function to this, I have a very hard time being treated for Lyme, surgery and so on.  So I have a little advise for people thinking about being a donor, pay (or get the transplant center) to pay the $200 to be tested, if positive for one (or esp. both) learn about the mutation issues before deciding to be a donor.  If you are a donor who is having problems ask your doctor to do this simple, cheap test; as the impact of having the mutation(s) can be offset to a degree.  The mutations were "discovered" in about 1995, by the genome project; there has been a lot of research about them sense.  The prevalence is about 10% worldwide.  Best wishes, Rob

Offline tantemorte

• Top 50 poster!
Re: MTHFR gene mutations and donation
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 07:50:23 PM »
I was just wondering,were there any clues to this condition that you can recall??
Did you have sensitivity to medications pre-donation too?
And if not,any idea (did any dr tell you anything) how it was activated?

Offline Rob_h

• Top 50 poster!
Re: MTHFR gene mutations and donation
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 10:45:02 AM »
Hi,

The only clue, which I never would have guessed, was an inability to tolerate various Rx that most people could.  It appears to have been noted in 1995 via the human genome project and  research has been done on it, linking it to hyperhomostine and heart issues, as well as miscarriages and something called neural tube defects.  Also research has been done linking it (esp. the double mutation with I have) with reduced capacity in removing toxins.   best wishes, Rob   

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional