| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Young donors!!!  (Read 8267 times)

Offline DariaChe

• Top 200 Poster!
Young donors!!!
« on: December 14, 2013, 12:59:28 PM »
My name is Daria. I'm 24! Still on my way with donation.

Looking for people who donated when they were young or just young donors!

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Young donors!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 01:56:28 PM »
I was 56.   We have PKD that runs in our family.  At 26, I would not have been sure that I would not get the disease myself.  Is there any history of kidney disease in your family?
Oldnslow

"Donated kidney to my brother on Dec 8, 2008"

Offline DariaChe

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 04:59:21 PM »
No, any stories in our family exept me :)
 But not disease- an anomaly! I have full doubling of both kidneys but they are healthy!

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 11:19:28 AM »
I don't have any experience with non-directed donation unbothered here do.    There are many waiting for kidneys, so I am sure your act of generosity would be appreciated.   
Oldnslow

Offline Mooge

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 01:40:06 PM »
Just to make the conversation interesting - here in Israel non-directed donations are not permitted until at least age 25, and even then they try very very hard to discourage you until you're older.....

Mooge

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 07:56:13 PM »
That makes sense to me Mooge.    I would not have donated at a young age because of the PKD in my family.    If no history of disease it may not be so hard to make a decision.    I wonder what the statistics are for donor age on LDO?
Oldnslow

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 11:39:47 PM »
I think it's a good idea to wait until a donor is 24 or 25 years old. There's barely any health history to review until then. And they say that in young adults the brain maturity is not fully finished developing until about age 25. They may take risks they would not take if they were older. Here's one article about it from NPR, but there's more if you search on google http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=141164708

Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline leah.faith

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 01:04:48 PM »
Hi Daria, I donated to my bff last year when I was 28. Since I've apart of this community (so to speak) I've met a couple other people in their 20's. Is there anything you want to know in particular?

Offline hannah_92190

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 04:51:48 PM »
I am 23-female and am planning to donate. I have done all the research so I am aware of the risks. There is no history of diseases, cancer, etc in my family. I am healthy and as long as I qualify, I have every intention of donating. I leave the rest up to God. The risk is worth the reward in my opinion.   

Offline Amberwoo

• Top 100 Poster!
    • My Kidney Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 11:53:10 AM »
I'm 25 and planning on donating if all goes well with the testing.  Here is hoping!  I think that the risks are worth it.  :D
Donated Kidney on 05/22/2014
My Experience- http://kidneydonorthoughts.blogspot.com/

Offline NWhite23

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 11:53:25 PM »
I am 23 and just successfully donated a Kidney! Although I am still in the recovery process, I feel I have made one of the best decisions of my life. Best of luck to you and feel free to contact me with any questions!

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 09:02:34 AM »
Wait-did I read that right, OP? You have 4 kidneys?? :o

Offline DariaChe

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 04:23:33 AM »
Thanks for all replies,friends! But I really want contact you, guys! Here my e-mail: chefan@mail.ru

And reply for the last post : Yes I have kinda 4 kidneys but they are living together 2 and 2!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 05:56:22 PM »
Dear CK,
       Just for some background: some folks are born with only one kidney but never notice unless an X-ray or scan shows it. When I got my scan in preparation for donation the nurse explained that they not only had to check the condition of the kidneys, but also to see if I HAD a second kidney to donate! (I did.) Other folks are born with more than 2 kidneys. Their testing has to evaluate the actual condition of the kidneys to see if there is the possibility of donating one that is healthy enough for the recipient, while making sure that the donors has sufficient kidney-power left over. I think, however, that it is unusual for a person with multiple kidneys to donate, so I do hope that "DariaChe" will keep us informed as to how things go.
   Fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional