| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: What are acceptable meds for treating common ailments in kidney donors!  (Read 5302 times)

Offline Nancy

• Top 50 poster!
I know what I can't take (NSAIDS, pseudoephedrine) but not what I CAN.  Right now I have a terrible cold and leave for a cruise in a week.  I'm suppose to take a supply of fever reducer, cold meds, upset stomach meds, etc. on the cruise.  Any input would be much appreciated! ???

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Re: What are acceptable meds for treating common ailments in kidney donors!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 07:53:30 AM »
First, talk to your primary care physician or the nephrologist who evaluated you on your path to donation. Mine has always welcomed hearing from me and responding to my questions even though I was only briefly her patient 13 years ago.

I understand your desire for a positive recommendation, but there are just too many products out there, each being reformulated all the time. I found a more complete prescribing guide discussion at http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/drug-prescribing-in-renal-impairment, but unless you've been tested and are demonstrating impairment in the ranges listed in the article, I'd take a more relaxed approach to this. The greatest danger to everyone, not just we kidney donors, in taking multiple agents for multiple symptom relief is that so many products contain acetaminophen one can overdose without realizing it. That's liver toxicity, not kidney.

Occasional use of NSAIDs, in moderation, monitoring your response, shouldn't be a problem. Last, talk to your PCP or nephrologist about your concerns generally, and specifically about the combination you're contemplating in an isolated environment with greater than routine environmental challenges. Best wishes that you feel better soon, that you get satisfying answers, and that you have a great time on your cruise!

PS: Friends have recently recommended taking a cruise, something I hadn't thought of as a desirable vacation before. What's your route? For how long? What line? How did you decide? Thanks!
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 08:48:14 AM »
Here's another good article: http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/581271
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 09:15:55 AM »
I agree to check with the doctor. What usually concerns me is not just what I can take because of the one kidney issue, but also any drug interactions - either between the various over the counter products, or with any other prescription/supplement medications.

Hopefully, you will be over your cold and able to enjoy that cruise!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline Nancy

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 06:52:46 PM »
Thank you for the feedback.  Clark, it's the Holland American Line and it's a Caribbean cruise.  It only last a week and I'm going with my sister who has never been on one (because she asked me and wouldn't go without me).  Cruising is not my favorite vacation but we both want some warm weather and sunshine.

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 07:23:15 PM »
Bon voyage! Thinking about Celebration Cruise line for a first time based on Cruise Critic. What do you think for first timers only considering it because of friends' recommendations?
Proud grandpa!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 01:34:29 AM »
Dear Nancy,
     Hi. You said that you CAN'T take NSAIDS. From what I have read (I'm not a medical professional) the possible dangers to kidney health from NSAIDS have been observed only in people who take large dosages continuously over a long period of time (e.g. persons dealing with a constant pain problem). It seems that some doctors play it safe and advise kidney donors to stay away from them entirely, while other doctors see no problem with taking moderate dosages for a short-term (few days) problem. I don't know if there have been any more recent studies on this.
   best wishes,
    Fr.Pat

Offline Nancy

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 05:22:02 AM »
Sorry I can't be of any help but I'm not familiar with Celebration.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional