| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Suprise Bonus to Kidney Donation (Instant Karma!)  (Read 5368 times)

Offline Eldonna Edwards

• Top 100 Poster!
    • Eldonna Edwards, Author/Speaker
Suprise Bonus to Kidney Donation (Instant Karma!)
« on: February 17, 2011, 10:14:03 PM »
Three weeks post-op I had lost 6 pounds, and have since lost four more (@ 8 weeks). Ten pound weight loss was a neat little bonus to organ donation. Anyone else have this experience?

Now to lose the other ten...  ;)
Author of Lost in Transplantation: Memoir of an Unconventional Organ Donor

Offline Kid Sister

• Top 200 Poster!
Re: Suprise Bonus to Kidney Donation (Instant Karma!)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 09:40:53 AM »
Yes . . . it happened to me, too.  Even two years later, I am generally about ten pounds lighter than before my donation.  At 5'9" and 124 lbs, I'm actually considered "underweight" by some standards, but I feel healthy at this weight.  I think I am eating better, exercising more, and generally taking better care of myself since the surgery - maybe you are, too?  Good luck with that last 10 pounds!
Anne-Marie
Donated my right kidney to my friend, Susie, on 10-14-08
Loma Linda University Medical Center

JenMax

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 03:11:44 PM »
One week post donation and I am four pounds lighter.  I attribute it to the two day pre-surgery clear liquid diet mostly but am hoping to continue the trend. 

Offline Eldonna Edwards

• Top 100 Poster!
    • Eldonna Edwards, Author/Speaker
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 10:37:38 AM »
Update: I am now down 3 sizes in 4 months. My recipient tells me his wife (who donated second in the chain) is down 2 sizes. Is this a common experience for many of you? I have been walking more and watching portions but my theory is that the lone kidney is burning calories due to overtime hours. ;) Nice to wear some clothes I haven't fit in a very long time!
Author of Lost in Transplantation: Memoir of an Unconventional Organ Donor

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional