| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: The new Facebook group has more members than our site does!  (Read 5305 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
The new Facebook group has more members than our site does!
« on: December 16, 2014, 05:29:26 PM »
As we've removed members who've never posted in more than a year, we've dropped below 1,000. The new Facebook group hasn't yet recovered the numbers the old one had when we closed it, but we've also been more aggressive about moderating it since the transition. So, stay the course? Ease up on the tight policies we implemented after HBO suggested we were the matchmaker of choice for worldwide kidney sellers? If so, in what ways? Thanks, all!
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: The new Facebook group has more members than our site does!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 06:54:02 PM »
Dear Clark,
     Hi. I have a question about the facebook page that perhaps you could help me with? Although I click the "no notification" thing I continue to get an individual e-mail whenever someone posts something on the facebook page. I would rather just go to the page to see what's new. Is there anything else I can do to stop the e-mail notifications? Thanks.
     Fr. Pat

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 03:50:52 PM »
Dear Fr. Pat,

You aren't an admin, so I presume it's your own settings that are bringing you notifications. I hope you find the settings that work best for you.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 09:57:01 PM »
Below 1000?   That is surprising.  I would have been very uninformed without the advice and help offered by the people on the forum.   I wonder where donors are going now for help.  Hope they're getting the information they need.
Oldnslow

"Donated kidney to my brother on Dec 8, 2008"

Offline JustAPyper

• Top 100 Poster!
  • Paired Exchange Kidney Donor
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 02:55:28 PM »
I think it is about quality not quantity.  FB works better for some.  I'd rather not use my public identity so I post here.
Paired Exchange Kidney Donor 11/13/2012

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 07:10:49 PM »
I keep an eye on both places but Facebook seems to attract more attention.  They each have value. 

Offline salman004

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 03:12:44 PM »
Avenues like FB, Whatsapp, etc. have kind of overridden emails/forums to a large extent.

The communique is more fast in FB, especially with the notifications, and more people login and more frequently. I've personally found it therefore more convenient to post and addresses queries in FB; so would be the majority I presume.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional