| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: My recipient (and dear friend) passed away  (Read 1954 times)

Offline Linda

• Top 100!
  • Reactions: +1/-0
My recipient (and dear friend) passed away
« on: February 09, 2015, 05:28:01 PM »
I donated my kidney to a childhood friend Oct. 2011.  She would not have made it much longer as she had all but lost access for dialysis.  She passed away Jan 2015 due to other causes related to her lupus. 

I wanted to see if any others have experienced this loss - there is a strange feeling in addition to the grieving over her death, that "our kidney," something so personal that we shared, has also passed away.  It is very hard to describe to people. I was hoping some of you may understand.  Our kidney was doing great right up until the end of her life and likely would have kept on kicking for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for this forum and for any thoughts or personal experiences anyone wants to share.
donated kidney to dear friend Oct. 2011

Offline sherri

• Top 10!
  • Reactions: +25/-0
Re: My recipient (and dear friend) passed away
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 10:43:56 PM »
Linda,

So sorry for your loss. Not only have you lost a dear friend but a part of you is now also gone. It may take some time to process this loss.

May the memories you have of your friend bring you much comfort. What a beautiful gift you gave; your friend was very blessed to have known you.

All the best,

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10!
  • Reactions: +31/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 10:53:07 PM »
Dear Linda,
     I have not experienced this, but I know from reading about others who have gone through this than it can be a very hard and confusing time. I think that a lot of non-donors do not really understand the donor's sense of loss, so you may not get much (or even any) sympathy outside of the donor community. You did a wonderful thing, and that NEVER dies, so always treasure and cherish the memory of what you did.
      Fr. Pat

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10!
  • Reactions: +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 10:52:47 AM »
So very sorry for your loss. You have my deepest sympathies.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional