| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Protein and supplements  (Read 4453 times)

Offline dksalinas09

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
Protein and supplements
« on: February 24, 2015, 09:43:14 PM »
I have desperately been seeking information, as a kidney donor, one protein intake and supplements. I was never told of any dietary restrictions after my donation. I am now on a high protein diet, 125g+ daily and wanted to start taking some supplements. My nephrologist and family doctor have no or little information on the recommendation for someone who is extremely active. I am a runner, I strength train avidly and I also do yoga. All the recommendations I receive are for the general donor. I do not consider my activity level or physical condition to be comparable to the average donor. I really am at a loss as to what is safe for me and what is not. My trainer tells me to ask my doctor and my doctor can only provide me with general information, 60g of protein is the limit. That is a very small amount of protein for anyone!

I truly hope someone can provide me with some information regarding protein and supplements after kidney donation. I am 45 years old and it has been six years since my donation to my husband. My labs are excellent, my creatinine is 1 and I have no protein in my urine.

Please help.

Thanks in advance

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Protein and supplements
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 10:02:37 PM »
     I'm not a medical professional, but since I have read that the remaining kidney (I donated a kidney 13 years ago) might have trouble handling the stuff produced when we eat a lot of protein I have generally tried to keep a moderate protein intake. I don't know how much difference there might be between animal and vegetable protein in this. With the lack of good data available, perhaps you could increase the frequency with which you have urine analysis done, in order to keep close watch for any signs of too much protein? That's just a thought. I have no data or experience that would be of help.
   best wishes,
    Fr. Pat

Offline dksalinas09

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 10:05:17 PM »
Thanks Fr Pat, my nephrologist recommended more frequent labs if I chose not to follow her medical advice. I plan to do that, at least every six months.

Thanks again

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 08:10:00 AM »
Dear dksalinas09,

As for me, I'd reconsider the very high protein diet.   I do not think it is necessary for muscular development.  And I'm saying that as a power lifter with some dusty trophies and having completed a couple marathons.  I'd also be quite cautious of supplements, they are not always as healthy as the advertising suggests. 

But if you are going to consume a lot of protein consider increasing your water intake.  The problems caused by excess protein may be compounded by inadequate hydration.   That means like a half gallon for every 100 grams of protein. 

Love ,elephant

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional