| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: What was your time frame to resume your exercise program after Donation?  (Read 10980 times)

Offline twinkie

• Top 100 Poster!
Ok you exercise lovers out there in the donor world, can you please tell me when you were able to get back to your normal exercise schedule that you were on prior to surgery?  I donated on June 9th (7 weeks today) and I am still not back to my normal self.  I guess I thought I would be superwoman and be back to my normal self in no time.  Well, my mind and body don't seem to agree with one another right now.  My mind is telling me, go for a run "Lisa"  You can do it but my body is telling me another story.  My main incision is right above my navel which is about 4 inches and it is still very sore and sensitive.  I did try to run or should I say jog this past week but had to stop and just walk.  I felt like I was being stung by several bees right at my incision site and actually had to hold my stomach to stop that feeling.  Not sure how long that will take to go away.  So I guess what I would like to hear from you all is when did you start running, lifting weights and doing sit-ups? 

Other than my impatience to want to get back to my normal self and back to my exercise routine, I am feeling great.  Yes, I still find myself feeling tired which is definitely not me since I have always been so hyper and love to go, go, go..    I am thanking the Lord for this time and know that I am to thank him for ALL Things.  I am just so blessed to have been a part of this amazing journey and to see Daddy Chuck doing so well makes my heart happy!!  AS you may know that I donated to my best friend's father, Daddy Chuck and as of today, he has lost so much weight, full of energy and his exact words to me is that he has never urinated so much!!!  That was the best compliment ever!
Thank you all for any tips and encouraging words on the days ahead for me regarding my workout schedule... God bless you ALL... Twinkie/Lisa

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Congratulations first of all. I saw you donated at Piedmont. i had a surgeon at Hopkins, Miguel Tan who then went to Piedmont. Who did your surgery?

As to exercise, I think the key is to listen to your body. The first week I walked on the treadmill a little. tehn everyday I added a little bit. By a month i could walk a couple of miles outside but I was nevr a runner so I didn't run. Abdominal lifts or weights I would say is a no no for at least 8 weeks. Remember all the inside stitches have to heal and you don't want to risk a hernia. Be sure to write down and describe all the activities to your nurse coordinator and surgeon and ask specific questions. then do a little bit and go with how it feels.

Don't compare to other people, each body is different, age, toning prior to surgery etc makes a difference. Be patient.

Take care and heal well.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
Amen to what Sherri said!
I know it's hard when you want to run, and feel yourself running, but walk for a bit. I can't clearly remember how long it was, but I am going to say it was closer to 3 months before my incisions didn't hurt when I ran. I could *feel* the big one, but it didn't HURT. I felt it the same way I feel it when I do sit ups. Those don't happen often. ;) hahah!

You are doing awesome. Keep listening to your body. I know walking a few miles takes longer than running 'em, but that's okay.  Your totally kick butt body is healing from an incredible surgery/journey. You're doing great!

Nicki
Be the change!
Nicki

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
Hey Lisa!

As Sherri said, each situation is individual, but I am glad to share what I was given and what worked for me.

My husband and I both were, prior to surgery, and now, after surgery,  avid weightlifters and gym-goers. One of my concerns was that the surgery might have an impact on my strength and that I may not be able to some of the things I was doing pre-surgery.

So, at the 2 week check back, I did ask my surgeon (a wonderful and kind man!) to set a schedule as far as starting back to my lifting. I strongly suggest to anyone that they discuss exercise specifics with the doctor/surgeon - as we were talking it was evident that he had no clue of the type and style of weight I was lifting. We discussed at length type of exercise (a lot of free weights) and my weight levels (fairly substantial compared to most women - and some men!). This gave him the needed information to come up with a time frame.

The following information was designed for me, so by all means, consult with your own doctor or surgeon based on your individual situation. However, it will give you a general idea of a time frame and what to expect.

He did say treadmill was okay at 6 weeks but, like you, I felt a very uncomfortable jostling, so I waited until 8 weeks. On weightlifting, he came up with the following: Surgery date 10/30; no more than 10 pounds until 12/15; no more than 30 pounds 12/15 to 2/1; increase gradually thereafter. No abdominal exercises or heavy lifting until after 5/1

I will tell you from experience that he was pretty much right on the money - particularly the abdominal exercises. I took it slow, and if anything did not feel right I stopped. I played it safe and followed the instructions to the letter. I wanted to heal and did not want to end up with a hernia or other problems that would sideline me and my goals  for a lot longer than the 6 months time frame he gave me.

Take the long view and be safe. The stamina and strength will come back quicker than you can imagine. Best of luck and happy exercising!

Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline twinkie

• Top 100 Poster!
Thank you all for your comments and advice.  If anything, your comments make me feel better helping me realize that what I am feeling is normal.  I will definitely listen to my body and listen to what the doctor had told me.  Dr. Johnson was my surgeon at Piedmont Sherri and he was awesome from the moment that I met him.  He did suggest that I wait to run at least 8 weeks and no lifting more than 10lbs for 10 weeks.  I am able to walk and right now I have been walking 5 miles around Stone Mountain or the local park near my house.  I can tell the strain on my incision when I walk up hills.  I guess what confused me was I had read some post where some donors had already starting running at 6 weeks, so I took it upon myself to try and I couldn't.  Not that I didn't want to but it just didn't feel right, so I stopped and walked.  So my sweet donor friends, I will listen to my body and continue to walk and take baby steps until I know that it is going to be able to take that big leap to run again...   I will keep updating you with my progress!  Again, thank you, Lisa/Twinkie

APV

Thank you Lisa for  posting this question.  We are both on the same boat since I had surgery just one day after you did.  I still cannot run and it frustrates me, but now that I read other people's posts I feel better about taking my time.  Just like you, I was under the impression that I would be ready to run right at six weeks...well, we are at 7 weeks and nothing.  We'll make it my friend!

Hugs,
Angelica

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
I was back to the treadmill within several weeks, but not able to go as strong and hard for some time.  I was actually about 6 months out before I felt like I was back to my normal work outs with the exception of now I had to rebuild my abs and by about that 5-6 month mark I was able to do about 90-180 incline ab crunches - really helped me get rid of some of the remaining incision pain (just worked up to it slowly).   I only began running about 10 weeks ago - couldn't make a mile without stopping to walk at least once.  Now, I'm running about 3-6 miles daily and still working in my treadmill (fast walking) interval training and weight work a couple of times per week to switch things up.  Work up to it slowly (consistency is the key I think).  I hope you'll check out our GRANDMA'S LDO RUNNERS facebook sight - read about our organizing living donors to run in the Grandma's half-marathon June of 2012 in Duluth Minnesota along beautiful Lake Superior, to raise awareness of living donation and to show that living donors can live exceptionally healthy and normal lives post donation.    Good luck!

Scott 8)
Scott

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
     Since I didn't have much of an exercise routine before donation surgery, I didn't have anything to get "back" to! So I started by walking and stretching, and eventually got into running, and finally did a marathon (at age 60) 4 years after donation. Just to repeat what has been well said above: listen to your body and take it gradually. Don't compare yourself to anybody else. For what it's worth, many donors have said that it was 6 months before they really felt back to normal.
     One possible suggestion: perhaps swimming and water exercises might be a good step at this point?
                   Fr. Pat

Offline bergstromtori

• Top 50 poster!
I am a marathoner and a triathlete.  I honestly told some friends that I might be able to run a half at the end of October (my surgery is scheduled for September 6, 2011).  I am now realizing that I may be delusional.  Oh well....since I am getting a tummy tuck during the surgery I also have to walk with a walker for three weeks.  Not sure if my self esteem can handle walking around the neighborhood with a walker.  I have also heard stories of people that were back to skiing two weeks after surgery.  I guess that is a major exception to rule.
The donation is being made because I wish that someone could have done something like this to save my moms life.  I am not going to let a disease take my friend from his three kids the way my mom was taken from me, my brother and sister.

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
for six months...
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 01:19:09 AM »
I felt a bit more tired than usual....but I did have major surgery...listen to your body....
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: What was your time frame to resume your exercise program after Donation?
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 07:12:16 PM »
As soon as I could I started walking outside, spring came slow here.  Just up the street and back at least once, maybe twice a day.  Going further and further, then faster and faster.  Speed walking style not power walking, there is a big difference.  You glide with speed walking, much easier on the body. Also added resistance training as well for core strength after the release by my surgeon.  He told me I could start jogging if I wanted to, haha.  So slowly, what my body would let me, if it was only a twinge of an ouchie that was ok to me, if it hurt, I didn't do it.  I do some jogging now if my knees are up to it.  Used to run when I was younger.

I started this donation at 150, I am 5'4" that put my BMI at 25 right at the cutoff point for my age, almost 60. I was a couch potato.  By 4 months I had lost 20 lb. and felt great, I havn't felt this good in over 10 years, maybe more.  It was about that time I realized that hey, I feel really good. I have 5 more  lbs to get to my goal, the toughest weight lose of all, but, it will happen.
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved