| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: How much does height matter when donating to someone taller?  (Read 8778 times)

Offline KidneyHelpPLEASE

• Top 50 poster!
Let's say if there is a man or woman who is 5'2" and they want to donate to a 6'3" man. Is that always OK or how much does height matter?

The man is of healthy weight at about 225 lbs..

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: How much does height matter when donating to someone taller?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 07:04:52 PM »
     If I understand it correctly (I'm not a medical professional) the actual size and health of the donor's kidneys, and the relative body mass and surface area of donor and recipient are measured. The relative height, of course, is considered within this but is not the only deciding factor.
     Also keep in mind that if because of size difference or other factors a particular donor may not donate to his/her chosen recipient, sometimes a "swap" can be arranged where different sets of donor/recipients interchange kidneys so that every recipient gets the best match. Some of these exchanges can involve a dozen people in different States. www.kidneyregistryorg has a nation-wide data base and tries to organize such exchanges.
    Fr. Pat

Offline KidneyHelpPLEASE

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 05:43:56 AM »
Thanks Pat but in my case I need a direct living donor and a swap is not an option.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 07:46:08 PM »
      I don't quite understand why a "swap" would not be a possible option for you. If you have someone who is willing and able to donate to you but would not be a good match, would that person be willing to donate to someone else so that another living donor would donate to you?
    Fr. Pat

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 07:50:46 PM »
I am quite petite. At donation 5'2" and probably 95 pounds (I weigh a little more now) & I donated to a taller guy. He wasn't heavy or super tall but certainly quite a bit bigger than me. They put the new kidney in the pelvis so I've never heard that a donor is taken out of the mix because he/she is too small. My recipient's surgeon said he could not have hand picked a kidney more perfect in size for my recipient. I don't know how much height of donor vs recipient is considered but it seems most healthy kidneys are about the size of a clenched fist, so I'm not sure they vary in size a lot. Then again I'm not a medical professional, so please don't take my comments as gospel. But I'm not sure you should be overly worried about your height vs the recipient as a deciding factor. Good luck with the testing process. I hope it works out for you.
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline KidneyHelpPLEASE

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 05:56:47 PM »
      I don't quite understand why a "swap" would not be a possible option for you. If you have someone who is willing and able to donate to you but would not be a good match, would that person be willing to donate to someone else so that another living donor would donate to you?
    Fr. Pat

Because this is a specialized program where they need a direct live donor and don't do swaps. I suppose they hypothetically could but they choose not to.

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 08:43:58 AM »
Alarm bells should be going off for you by now. Why don't you have satisfactory responses from an Independent Donor Advocate? Why doesn't this transplant program participate in the national KPD program? Best wishes.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Beagle lover

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 10:02:37 PM »
I donated to my husband who is 6"3 and I am 5"0.   He is doing awesomeness. Our surgery was June 17,2014.  Our size difference was never an issue.

Offline poodles

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 09:09:33 PM »
Hi there! I was about 95lbs and 5ft 5" when I donated to my 210lb & over 6ft husband. He has had no problems in over 5 years. Good luck!

Offline jittterbug

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 11:54:13 PM »
Hello,

I am 5ft 5" and donated to my six-foot-three brother - no problem. Good luck!
Kidney donor since Aug. 15th 2014

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved