| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Will my existing High Blood Pressure go up if I donate my kidney  (Read 4190 times)

Offline debfriend

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
Hi, my sister needs a kidney - her donated kidney 30yrs ago is now failing, an she has asked me. I am 58yrs old and have High Blood Pressure as well as Osteoporosis.  I am worried about my own health and whether my Blood Pressure will go up further if I donate my kidney.
I sympathise with my sister, but don't want to jeopardise my own health - as this would affect my family too.
Her husband is ready to donate his kidney - through the pairing scheme, but if they cannot find a match on the data base, she said that I will need to to donate my kidney.

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Will my existing High Blood Pressure go up if I donate my kidney
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 07:28:48 AM »
Dear Deb,

The evaluation of donors excludes people who are unfit to donate due to hypertension.  In addition no one "needs" to donate their kidney, it is a voluntary offering.  Donors are also excluded if they are coerced.   You do not need to be afraid. 

I would suggest, however, treading carefully with your sister.  She is certainly frightened herself.

Love, elephant

Offline CK

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 04:58:24 PM »
They will most likely not approve you for donation if you have high blood pressure; also, they will probably offer you the option of them telling your sister that you are not able to donate in the event that you don't wish to, but aren't comfortable telling her so.

Wow, her first transplant lasted 30 years?! I'm impressed.

Offline brenda

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 05:17:09 PM »
Most donors' blood pressure does rise, and more than normal aging. Don't rely on the transplant team; check with your own physician and, if possible, a non-transplant nephrologist for advice. Listen carefully to the most conservative views.

(I realize this goes against the common belief in transplant centers' careful evaluation of donors. My personal experience was that my health was "carefully evaluated" for ensuring that my kidney would be suitable for transplant, not for my own long-term health outcome. While I respect others' experiences, my transplant center clearly had and has no long term investment in my health. I do not believe they were trying to harm me, but they clearly ignored pre-donation labwork that contraindicated donation.)

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional