| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Kidney donors diet.  (Read 3379 times)

Offline sdfhd1

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
Kidney donors diet.
« on: December 04, 2016, 08:48:17 AM »
What foods should avoid ? and What foods should focus on ?

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
Re: Kidney donors diet.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 05:21:53 PM »
I'm not aware of a recommended diet specifically for living kidney donors. However, maybe you can think about it as being similar to someone born with one kidney or with diminished kidney function. Here's a web page from the US National Institute of Diabetes and Kidney and Digestive Diseases with recommendations on living with one kidney: https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/kidney-disease/solitary-kidney/Pages/facts.aspx There's a section on "Eating, Diet, and Nutrition." I hope this information is helpful.
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Kidney donors diet.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 06:29:49 PM »
Just follow a good healthful nutrition plan. Since we donors have a tendency to develop high blood pressure it is especially wise to follow the recommendations (such as reduced sodium) that anyone should follow in order to decrease the risk. I have read that the fruit known as "star fruit" can be kidney toxic for some. The National Kidney Foundation www.kidney.org in its "Love Your Kidneys" program sometimes offers healthful recipies (and you can sign up for a free e-mail newsletter) but we don't have to follow the restrictions that those with kidney disease have to follow. Of course no matter what we eat we should maintain a healthy weight, as overweight can contriute to high blood pressure or diabetes. So, eat, drink and enjoy (in moderation).
   Fr. Pat

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional