| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: New to site  (Read 7445 times)

mxprincess

New to site
« on: August 12, 2011, 06:44:04 AM »
Hello, I am from Cincinnati, OH and my dad is currently on the kidney transplant list. He will be getting the transplant at Christ Hospital when a donor is found. The surgeons are wanting the transplant completed no later than October of 2011 since both kidneys are not functioning. They hope that one of his seven kids will be match so they are waiting to put him on dialysis. Four of us will get the blood work done starting next week - we have to wait for him to get cleared because he has pneumonia right now.

I just wanted to say hello and that I think this site is great!

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: New to site
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 08:32:27 AM »
Welcome!
I'm sorry to hear about your dad. Hopefully there will be a match and the process will go off without a hitch! Sending good vibes and love to your family!
I don't know how long you've been looking around the site, but there's a TON of information that will be helpful for your family. Make sure to check out the experiences page if you haven't already, to read different stories about the living donation journeys that have been experienced. And keep us updated!!!

Nicki
Be the change!
Nicki

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 05:02:35 PM »
You have found the best bunch of people here as well!  Best wishes on finding a match and on a quick recovery for your dad.  Post any questions or concerns.  Someone here has probably gone through it and will be more than happy to help answer as best they can.  Stay in touch!  Janice
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 06:54:50 PM »
Welcome to you and best of luck to your family!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline stevewin@windstream.net

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 10:26:43 PM »
this is a great site for learning and sharing about lkd,s.i hope and pray everything goes well with your dad and the family member that donates.  steve

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 01:10:54 AM »
      Best wishes and prayers for your Dad and all the family. As you did not mention his age, or the ages of the children, I would also like to suggest that you let his need be known to his friends, co-workers, neighbors, club members, church/synagogue members, etc., so as to have a larger pool of possible donors to look over. In addition to the matching and general health tests, some people may be better able to donate than others due to better insurance coverage, greater facility to miss work, fewer family oblications, etc.
    Fr. Pat

mxprincess

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 08:42:18 AM »
Thanks everyone! I told my mom about this site as well - not sure if she will join or not though.

My dad is 70 and the kids range from 35 - 44. We are all, for the most part, very healthy, and still continue to take part in some sort of athletics. Two of the kids live in other states- one in CA and the other in MN. Our coordinator said that they will test anyone in town before testing them. My mom has colon cancer so that ruled her out. I have had many friends offer to get tested after we are all eliminated. As far as his work, they know but I am not sure if anyone has offered to get tested.

I saw  him yesterday for a bit, but didn't want to bother him. He has lost sooooo much weight and now has gout (sp).

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 03:32:39 PM »
Hello and welcome!

I am sorry to hear about your Dad, but I am so glad he has so many people who are willing to help out. I am so glad you found this site. This is a great place to learn a lot from other donors, so don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you want. Odds, are someone here will have the answer/experience with whatever you might be wondering about or questioning. Please let us know how the testing goes. Best of luck!

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

mxprincess

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 06:17:03 AM »
This past Tuesday and Wednesday, myself and three of my siblings went and did our bloodwork along with our dad. We will find out in 3 weeks who, if any, is the match. It's going to be a long three weeks. I heard that usually the daughter/father are better matches than the son/father combo. Has anyone else heard this or know if there is any truth to this? I have done extensive research, but haven't come across anything related to that statement.

On another note, my dad had a followup with his kidney doctor and it wasn't good. He came down with pnuemonia a few weeks ago, and the chest xray shows it's still lingering. They are concerned about that so he has to see a pulminologist (have no idea how to spell that - lung doctor). He has also lost a ton of weight in a very little amount of time so that is a concern as well. In two weeks he goes back for another follow up to talk about starting him on dialysis. Now the bad part - after prelim blood/urine work (my sister was confused on which one) they think he has prostate cancer....

sisflomi

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 11:50:25 AM »
It sounds like he really needs to be on dialysis.  Its not so bad, it really will help him to feel so much better.  I pray that he does not have cancer and will be able to get a kidney.  I can tell you that anyone who has high blood pressure, more than one instance of kidney stones, being obese are a few things that will stop you right off the bat from donating.  Good luck to you and your dad and family with everything.  And follow up often to get results.  My daughter and I both started our testing March 22 2011 and by May we were approved fully. 

mxprincess

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 06:14:48 AM »
Update: The doctor's managed to scare us with the prostate cancer bit. They did another test and it came back fine....Don't know why they do that! ???

He had his colonoscopy yesterday and "passed" that test! Yay! We were all concerned about that test.

Next week we will find out if any of the first four is a match.

He does need to be on dialysis, but my dad is putting it off as much as he can. He finds out this week whether or not he will be getting the treatments.

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 09:58:12 PM »
Don't put off dialysis. If he starts sooner, he will be in far better shape.  My husband would not have bounced back after his transplant had he not been on daily home hemo.
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

mxprincess

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 07:42:38 PM »
Today the four of us received phone calls from the coordinator. We are all equally a match to my dad; however, they choose my older brother to test first.

I need to pout a bit here: I am a health nut - no soda, eat a ton of fruits and veggies, I don't eat out a whole lot, exercise regularly, etc. Whereas my brother is the complete opposite - only drink Mt. Dew, eats out all the time, doesn't exercise - ever. Makes me wonder why I even bother.....

Oh well, just needed to say that. Obviously there was a reason for them choosing him first.

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 10:10:48 PM »
WOW!  How lucky your father is that all three of you are potentially viable to be his donor.  Regardless of which of you provides the first tests, you may find that one is more suited than the other and provides your father the best opportunity for a successful outcome.  What courageous and loving children you ALL are for wanting to give your father such an incredible gift.  Rejoice in his eventual recovery and prolonged health and life.  God Bless you all for your dedicated love of your father and best of luck.  Our prayers to you all!

Scott   8)
Scott

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved