| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: My partner needs a kidney  (Read 4111 times)

Offline UnDeuxBip

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
My partner needs a kidney
« on: May 10, 2017, 04:16:44 PM »
Hello everybody,

I met my partner last September when I arrived in the city. I'm 34 and he's 43. At this time I only knew he was diabetic. Early November, as a surgery to prepare a future home dialysis was programmed, he decided to share with me he had issues with his kidneys.
His surgery went great, and they placed tubes in his belly waiting the moment his kidneys wouldn't do the job anymore.

Starting this day, I was on a process to try to know if I could be a donor, if I wanted to be one...
I did this process on my own, knowing that a friend of him offered to do the test but never talk about it again after a while.

Last week my partner had to start his dialysis. It's gonna be done at home and I was able to go with him Thursday and Friday to get information about it. We learned he also needs a pancreas, ideally at the same time as the eventual future kidney.

He still doesn't know I want to be tested in order to be a potential donor cause I don't want to give him false hopes.

My family and friends live in another country and I just shared my intention with my sister. It would be great to be able to discuss with people who went through the same experience, and also get tips or advises.

Thanks for reading

PS : My apologize if some sentences are weird, I'm still in a process to master English.

Offline AdrianFR

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I'm new!
Re: My partner needs a kidney
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 05:53:01 PM »
Hello,
I donated my kidney to my co-workers Mom about 18 months ago. Everything went well and now we are both living normal lives.

In my case, my co-workers Mom and I were not compatible but we were part of a paired exchange which included 10 people (5 donors and 5 recipients). So even if you are not compatible you can still help your loved one. For me it was very important to be fully committed to what I was doing and not go into it with any doubts. I made sure to read and research as much as I could to understand all the possible risks. The hospital will make sure that you are physically and emotionally a good candidate to donate. 

Feel free to ask my anything. If I can help you in anyway I will do so.

Offline UnDeuxBip

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 07:00:55 PM »
Thank you for your message.
I had plenty of time to think about the donation.
Now I'm sure I want to do it. I just want to be sure I can technically be a donor. He also has to tests himself to determine if he can be a receiver.

My main issue is to know how to do it, knowing I'm just in a 2 years working Visa here (Canada) and do not have the provincial health coverage yet.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 07:47:59 PM »
You might wish to also post your message at the FaceBook page of Living Donors on Line, as there are several kidney donors in Canada who check in there and they are more informed about the process in Canada.
     Fr. Pat

Offline UnDeuxBip

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 09:51:22 AM »
Thank you for the advise but I just don't use Facebook.
I'll continue to browse online to try to get more info. :)

Offline AdrianFR

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 10:58:03 AM »
As far as medical coverage, the person who is the insurance company of the recipient is responsible for covering all costs. So as long as your partner has medical insurance it would cover 100% of the costs associated with the surgery. The only costs out of your pocket would be the driving back and forth to the hospital for testing.

Good luck

Offline UnDeuxBip

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 11:10:17 AM »
Oh that could be great news!
So the only things that will worry me is my work - if they are willing to let me do it and miss work (I've read it can take 4 weeks to be able to go back to work)

Edit : Just called social workers from the hospital where my partner is related. They talked about being covered by the recipient OHIP, but as I'm not related to another coverage in Canada, it can't work for me. I need to get my own OHIP coverage in case there is any complication. :/
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 02:18:02 PM by UnDeuxBip »

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved