| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Deciding to donate-need advice  (Read 4243 times)

Offline Husker6708

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
Deciding to donate-need advice
« on: March 18, 2014, 11:09:29 PM »
Hello everybody, I'm new to this forum but am very glad I found it. I found out over Christmas break that one of my good friend's dad has bile duct cancer and his best chance at survival is a liver donation. Not only is this my best friends Dad, but i've been very close with many members of this family and know them all very well. Seeing as the potential recipient and I are both O-, I was interested in stepping up to donate since his life expectancy is less than his projected time on the donor list. I have gone through all of the testing and am matched... Unfortunately, I'm having trouble making a final decision. I am 24 and have a very close family, and understandably they are all very concerned (yet supportive) for me as i'm making this decision. My big issue is now that I've been approved, the risks and potential side effects are making me very nervous. I would appreciate any advice, stories, suggestions from people who have been, are in, or know someone who has donated a liver under similar circumstances.

Thanks!!

Offline Ilania

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
Re: Deciding to donate-need advice
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 09:32:18 PM »
Hi,
Glad you wrote in. I donated a kidney June 2013. It is by far the greatest gift I could have ever given and it was to a complete stranger.  am now going to check out becoming a liver donor. I don't know how to advise but I will keep you in my prayers.  Write me anytime.

ilania

Offline Joel

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 01:38:30 PM »
Hello Guys:

I'm new in this forum also and I'm in need of a kidney transplant. I been on dialysis for over a year and a buddie told me about this website.  Do you have any information on how to get on the list for a transplant donation?

A little about me, I'm a newlywed my wife and I tide the knot on November 29, 2013.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 07:34:18 PM »
Dear "Husker",
     Hi. I'm a kidney donor, so don't have any personal experience to share regarding liver donation. But if you look at the "experiences of other living donors" section of this site you will find a section where other liver-lobe donors have described their experiences.
     It is major surgery, so it is quite reasonable to be concerned. The rate of complications from liver donation is much higher than for kidney donation. Always remember also that even though you have been approved you are free to change you mind at any time. Most hospitals are sensitive to this, and if you change your mind they may be able to re-evaluate your tests and decide that you are not quite suitable to donate, so you need not have to tell anyone that you have changed your mind. So keep getting well informed and remember that your options are still open.
  best wishes,
      Fr. Pat

Offline Husker6708

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 05:51:08 PM »
I appreciate the input! I have decided to move forward with the donation. I came to my decision in sort of an odd way but now that I have decided, I am very at peace with it. I'm actually kind of excited in an odd way. Wish me (and my recipient) luck!

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 08:44:20 AM »
Dear Husker,

I wish you and your recipient a successful surgery and many years of health and happiness.

Keep us updated

Love, elephant

Offline Ilania

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 02:40:57 PM »
Excited!  That is awesome.....I to was excited before during an still am almost 2years later. Best wishes for you and your recipient.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional