| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: recipient rejecting kidney  (Read 6132 times)

Offline jmaurer

• Top 200 Poster!
recipient rejecting kidney
« on: December 03, 2011, 08:40:53 PM »
Hi everyone.  I donated my kidney 3 years to my husband's cousin and everything has been going great.  Her body accepted my kidney right away and her creatinine was almost as low as mine.  A few weeks ago she developed a kidney infection from an undiagnosed urinary tract infection.  The infection has caused her body to begin rejecting the kidney.  She had a kidney biopsy this week that confirmed the rejection and she is in the hospital receiving prednisone treatments.  If that doesn't work, she will begin an alternate treatment.  I am just curious if anyone else has experienced this and if the outcome was positive.  I really hope that they can save the kidney!!  I feel like we both went through so much to get to this point and three years isn't enough!! I am trying to be positive (our joke because we are both B+ blood type) but I will be devastated if the kidney can't be saved. >:(

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
Re: recipient rejecting kidney
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 10:57:13 PM »
J,

I was an altruistic donor to my recipient one year ago this October.  The kidney began working fine initially, but within a couple of months, Matt suffered an infection of the ureter which began causing complications and diminished effectiveness of the donor kidney.  Over the next several months, surgeons placed and replaced stents and worked on correcting the issues but they worsened.  About 10 months post-op, the complications compromised the kidney and the decision was made to remove it, resume dialysis and place Matt back on the transplant list.  He is still awaiting a replacement transplant.

We all knew there could be complications, rejection, collateral health implications, etc...but I guess you're never truly prepared as we certainly hope and plan on the best of all possible outcomes.  I can only guess how Matt and his family have been impacted and the emotional roller-coaster they've been on, not to mention the uncertainty the future holds. 

Turns out I hadn't been prepared to confront this set back either.  Although it didn't effect me physically, I've had to deal with the emotional fallout.  Wondering why? What was it all for?  Did I make a mistake?  Did this change me or diminish the experience somehow?  Where do I go from this point?  How does/will this change my relationship with my recipient?  How do I tell my family and will this feed and affirm their "I told you so" attitudes?   

Since then, I've had ample opportunity to contemplate my motives for becoming a donor and circumstances as they exist now, and I've come to terms with the following;   

I became a donor because I had the ability and someone else had a need.  The success or failure of the donation doesn't diminish the value of the gift.  Although I decided to provide the gift, ultimately I have no control in the outcome.   I chose not to tell my family or friends about the kidney removal as it really isn't relative in that regard. 

Maybe most importantly, this entire experience has moved me incredibly and has changed me forever.  I would do it all again, without hesitation and I've become a life-long advocate for organ/tissue donation.   

I pray the outcome for you and your recipient will be physically more favorable but if not, I hope my experience helps in some small way.  My prayers and hopes for you both.  Please keep us informed.

Scott    :)
Scott

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 11:35:23 PM »
I donated to my niece in March of this year, it was her second transplant as she has IgA neuropothy.  Her first kidney worked 9 years for her before sucuming to the disease.  I only hope that mine will give her as good a service as that first one.  So far everything is going well. 

But I am prepared for the time when the brave little kidney will not be able to function for her any longer either.  I guess knowing the inevitable puts a different spin on the donation from my end.

I guess most donors don't think that the recipient will have failure as they, the donor is doing fine with the one they still have so, what went wrong with it in the recipient.  But, very few recipients go the 20 years we hear about.  We just think it will last forever in it's new home when sadly, they don't.

But, the change and quality of life it gives in the time it is rehomed, offers the recipient a renewed life, not matter how short or long that change is.

The act of donation, even if the outcome isn't what we hoped for, is none the less such a generous gift that no one should have second thoughts or mourn.  The donor that did this one self less act to another human being only shows the compassion and caring, that elevates man, from the other animals.  Such a gift was given to us to experience.  We can only hope that others will step forward to also experience the joy of giving the gift of life as so many here have given selflessly.   Best wishes,   Janice
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 03:27:37 AM »
After 3 years with her donor kidney, our daughter had a rejection episode. They were able to stableize her, and although she's only got about 18% function left, it's been 2 years and she is still off dialysis, feeling good. We know it could get worse in a short period of time, and are grateful for every day she has had with this lovely gift. Jenna had 3 years of dialysis before her transplant, which was 3 days a week - that's 500 treatments, with needles in her arm for 4 hours each time, feeling weak and washed out afterwards. Each day off dialysis is a wonderful day. Her donor has been fabulous, encouraging, supportive. I imagine she has similar thoughts about the outcome, but she is a big cheer leader for us, and I cannot truly express the gratitude we have toward her.
I love the "be positive" and hope things calm down and she can continue to enjoy her life with your kidney.
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline tjhurley

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 09:54:41 AM »
Our oldest son had a rejection episode a little under 4 years after receiving his dad's kidney. While the word "rejection"  pretty much strikes deep bells of fear in our hearts, the reality is that today's treatments for rejection can be highly successful.  Hope away, lots of real statistics to support hopes. Post rejection episode, his numbers did tick up a bit and those are his new normals. No second episodes at this point, we hope to celebrate their ten year kidneyversary this July. Janet

Offline jmaurer

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 10:43:18 AM »
Thank you all so much for your stories and words of encouragement!  They have helped a great deal.  My recipient just changed treatments because the prednisone wasn't working and her numbers have gone down slightly so I am hopeful.  My heart breaks for her - she is only 30 years old and has lost both parents to cancer so she is all alone in the hospital.  I was able to visit over the weekend but had to come back home to my kids and couldn't afford any more nights in the hotel!  I always knew that there was a chance that the transplant wouldn't last forever but I think I was lulled into a false sense of security because everything was so perfect right from the start.  Scott, I will pray that your recipient receives a new kidney soon.  I also fear the "I told you so" attitude so I can relate to your wanting to keep it to yourself.
Thanks again,
Jill

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 09:55:06 PM »
A rejection episode can be treated and function stabilize.  My husband had numerous rejection episodes over 13 years until he finally had to start dialysis.
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional