| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: I'm having upper backache, donated kidney apr 4th  (Read 4517 times)

Offline GuitarGirl4Gsus

• Top 100 Poster!
I'm having upper backache, donated kidney apr 4th
« on: April 16, 2013, 12:12:37 AM »
Hi, I gave a friend my kidney Apr 4th. I'm doing well. Incision healing just fine. I quit my pain pills because I couldn't stand how it effected my ability to think. I'm feeling some weird pains and don't want to tell my donor rep. Seh will tell me to go back to teh hospital. I do have a check up teh 22nd. My pain is in my upper back . Same side I donated, so maybe is normal. Feels like where my lung is, but I don't have a cough or fever. Any donors on here have this?

Offline tjhurley

• Top 100 Poster!
Re: I'm having upper backache, donated kidney apr 4th
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 12:46:17 PM »
GG, could someone help you determine better what kind of pain it is? Perhaps by prodding the area to ascertain if its muscular  or deeper? Is it constant, when you move certain ways, stabbing without apparent cause?  Maybe if you describe the pain in a little more detail.

And always, you should have it checked out by a doctor.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 09:56:44 PM »
     There are a couple of things that can possibly contribute to muscle pain after kidney donation surgery:
--- Sometimes the position our body was placed in during the surgery may have put a strain on some muscles.
--- After the surgery we may be up-and-around, but at the same time unconsciously changing our posture when we walk, sit, stand, etc. to avoid pain at the incision(s) or elsewhere. Changes from our usual posture put strain on different muscles that we don't normally use in that way and pain can result.

Doing some gentle bending and stretching exercises may be helpful, and also being conscious of getting back to good posture. But don't be shy about letting the hospital now if pain is bothering you.
    Please let us know how things go.
             best wishes,
                   Fr. Pat

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 08:43:36 AM »
I had problems with back ache the first week or so I was home. I discovered I was walking in kind of a "hunched" position. Evidently my body and mind's natural reaction in an attempt to protect the surgery area - even though it didn't hurt if I stood up straight. My husband had an old footed cane that I grabbed and used as support. I made a conscious effort then to walk upright. It helped immensely - no more back pain!
Hope you are doing well and up and around soon!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 09:50:18 AM »
All kinds of random aches and pains are possible.  Your body is saying, what the heck just happened?!  I like what the others have said.  Healing takes time, more time than we are willing to allow.  So be patient.  Ease in to the exercise.  I can say that now after my wife told me I always rush things.  What a blessing you are to give. 

Offline Oldnslow

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 09:27:06 AM »
Has the back pain dissipated yet?    I had forgotten about the way they position you on the gurney for the surgery.    Gives me back aches just thinking about it.   Did it work out or are you still feeling the pain.
Oldnslow

"Donated kidney to my brother on Dec 8, 2008"

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional