| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Today's the day  (Read 8504 times)

Offline shelley

• Top 50 poster!
Today's the day
« on: August 23, 2011, 11:32:32 AM »
This is Tim, Shelley's spouse, writing for her on this big day. Shelley was just wheeled into surgery here at Swedish Hospital in Seattle and surgery is probably just under way. About an hour or so later, our dear friend Heather will be in an nearby surgery room, being opened up to receive Shell's left kidney. By that time, the kidney will be attached to Shell by only a couple blood vessels.  I'll post updates as they come in. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers as Shell & Heather make this exchange today and as they recover in the days & weeks ahead.

Tim

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
Re: Today's the day
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 11:39:24 AM »
Good luck!
  Snoopy

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 11:56:09 AM »
We appreciate the update, Tim!  We hope to hear both are out soon and recovering!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline shelley

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 04:56:19 PM »
Tim here for Shelley: Shelley left surgery about 30 minutes ago and is now in recovery. Dr. came to waiting room and told me everything went smoothly and that Shelley was in excellent shape througout the procedure. Now it's a matter of getting through residual effects of anesthesia, hopefully without any serious nausea.

Just got update on Heather: kidney is in and producing urine! Another hour in operating room and then Heather will be in recovery.

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 05:24:57 PM »
wonderful news. It will take some time for her to feel "human" so don't be alarmed at the level of discomfort and tiredness. Shelley is lucky to have you for support. Every day gets better. Thanks for the updates. And tell her welcome to the donor club!

sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 07:03:42 PM »
That is such fantastic news Tim! Thank you so much for taking the time to update us. Please continue to keep us updated as you are able, and please tell Shelley and Heather that we are all thinking of them both and sending well wishes their way . Please tell Shelley   "Welcome to the Donor Club!"

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 08:31:51 PM »
Hope you are Watching a snoozing patient. Don't be afraid to ask for zofran/phenergen.  Get ready for shoulder massages and prunes tomorrow! 
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 08:59:40 PM »
Congratulations! And thanks forkeeping us informed.
   Fr. Pat

Offline rdr321

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 11:08:30 PM »
I woke up in the middle of the night the second night feeling nauseous. I Immediately called the nurse. They gave me I think it was Zofram. The feeling went away almost immediately. Some poor person in the room next to me was dry heaving all day. I felt so bad for them.   Yes and prunes worked very good for me too, and easy to eat. Got that one from reading FR Pat

Offline bergstromtori

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 12:41:06 AM »
Congratulations and I am thinking of you.
The donation is being made because I wish that someone could have done something like this to save my moms life.  I am not going to let a disease take my friend from his three kids the way my mom was taken from me, my brother and sister.

mxprincess

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 05:33:44 AM »
Thanks for the updates. I am glad the surgery went well!! I pray for very little pain and a speedy recovery for her. Keep us updated Tim  :)

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 11:08:59 AM »
Hoping everyone had a good night last night.....
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline shelley

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 01:52:12 PM »
Tim here for Shelley on day 2: Shelley & Heather are resting & recovering in adjacent rooms. About 30 minutes ago, Shelley got up for her first walk, which was a short shuffle to the doorway of Heather's room. The two chatted briefly, expressing loving concern for each other. We rejoiced at the clear plastic bag hanging under Heather's bed, which was about 1/3 full of urine -- the product of her new kidney!  Heather's creatine has already dropped substantially. Sidney is clearly hard at work. 

Offline Prelude_Sarah

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 11:31:15 PM »
Congratulations!  I'm so happy to hear it went great!! :)

Sarah
Donated left kidney to younger sister on May 10th, 2011

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
Thanks TIM
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 04:57:46 AM »
Tim and Shelley and Heather...

Praying for continued success and a wonderful recovery in this journey.  My kidney donation was 22 months ago on August 28th....and it seems like yesterday sometimes....
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved