| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Explaining Transplant to Children  (Read 7168 times)

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
Explaining Transplant to Children
« on: February 05, 2012, 05:34:20 PM »
My husband and I are members of TRIO. In one of their recent newsletter, they had a blurb about a book for children. While it is geared towards explaining transplant rather than concentrating on living donation, I thought I would provide this in case someone would find it of interest and use.

"Explaining transplant to children is made easier by a series of small and beautifully illustrated books by Stacy Ray Waibel who uses her poodle, Rudy, as the character who faces the transplant challenge. The series includes such titles as "Rudy Gets a Transplant", "Rudy's Check-Up" and "Rudy's Incredible Kidney Machine".

It's interesting in that, believe it or not, they do have the capability (at specialized centers, of course!) to do animal transplants. I have a friend who's cat needed a kidney transplant. It would certainly be expensive, but if she so desired, she could take it to New York and have it done. Problem is the "donor" cat does not survive the process. She said even if she could afford it, she couldn't bring herselfto do it and know that another animal was killed so that hers could live.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline WizardB

• Top 200 Poster!
Re: Explaining Transplant to Children
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 09:20:22 AM »
where could I find those books??

My center is going to send me some stuff, but she said it might be more geared toward younger kids.  My 9 year old is the one who is the most freaked out about all of this.  He hates hospitals, the thought of surgery, all that.....

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 10:40:55 AM »
Go to www.rudyslittleworld.com and they have the information both on the books and purchasing the books. Good luck WizardB!  In reality, I don't think any of us, at any age, like the hospital! Hope these may help to put your little one's mind to rest.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline MissFrizz

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 12:46:21 PM »
I can't thank you enough for this.  I've been hitting dead ends looking for information on how to talk to my 4 year old about what is going to happen.
Stephanie

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 02:34:48 AM »
     Hi. I don't know anything about the quality of the contents, but 2 books that sound like they might be helpful are:
"The Inside Story: a Kid's Guide to Kidney and Liver Transplants" by Karen Crowe (2001)
"Now Caitlin Can: a Donated Organ Helps a Child Get Well" by Ramona Woods (2004)
     You might be able to find out more aboput the contents at www.amazon.com and order there if you wish, or give the title and author to your local bookstore and they should be able to get them.
     Best Wishes,
    Fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved