| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Live chat today (1/24/14): Who can be a living kidney donor? What's involved?  (Read 3046 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/01/live_chat_today_who_can_be_a_l.html

(1/24/14)
Live chat today: Who can be a living kidney donor? What's involved?

When someone decides to donate a kidney to a relative, friend or stranger, that decision is just the first step in an involved process before the transplant takes place.

Who can donate? What should a donor consider before offering?

In a live chat at noon today, Friday, Jan. 24, experts will discuss the process involved in living kidney donations. Readers are welcome to post questions or comments in the comment section at the end of this story – either during the chat or in advance.

(The article and comment thread are engaging, with interesting information and perspectives. Importantly, there's discussion of a living donor support group of at least a dozen donors meeting regularly.)
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/01/saint_marys_first_anonymous_ki.html

Saint Mary's first anonymous kidney donor sees impact transplant made on family's life

Susan Matheson decided to become a kidney donor when she was helping a man write a memoir about growing up in the Netherlands amid the danger and deprivations of World War II.

She wondered if she would have the courage to fight in the Resistance as he did, or to do anything to help save a life. At the same time, she read about a man who donated a kidney in honor of his son.

“When I read this article about kidney donation, I knew a relatively safe, laparoscopic procedure was something I could do,” she said.

Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional